Stunningly purple, roasted radicchio with balsamic vinegar and pine nuts is a delicious side dish that goes well with many different meals. Suitable for vegans.
What is radicchio?
Radicchio is a leaf vegetable with pink or red leaves. Its colour deepens when roasted.
It can be eaten raw as part of a salad. While it looks stunning either way, radicchio does have a bitter taste, which some people find overpowering. This bitterness becomes less intense if radicchio is cooked..
How to cook radicchio
In this simple recipe the radicchio is cut into wedges. I've suggested eight but if your radicchio is tiny you might want to go for four or six wedges instead. It's then drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and roasted.
Pine nuts and fresh parsley are the finishing touches to this delicious side dish.
If you don't want to roast your radicchio you could sauté it instead.
I love to fry it with miso paste - it really tastes incredible. Simply shred your radicchio, discarding the thick white core. Heat a little oil in a frying pan, add 1 tbsp miso and chuck in the radicchio leaves, stirring often.
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Pine nuts
- Flat leaf parsley
What to serve with roasted radicchio
This radicchio dish is a wonderful side dish. You might like to enjoy it as part of the following meals:
- Alongside a vegan roast dinner, perhaps with a nut roast and roast potatoes.
- Served with pasta or rice.
- As part of a spread of seasonal salads and vegetable dishes such as whole roasted cauliflower, kale and sweet potato salad and celeriac and chestnut buckwheat salad.
More recipes you might like
If you like this you might also like:
- clementine, walnut and radicchio salad
- Brussels sprouts salad with red cabbage
- cabbage salad
- cauliflower bulgur pilaf
- roasted fennel with lemon
Pin roasted radicchio for later
How to make balsamic roasted radicchio
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
- 1 radicchio
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- pinch sea salt
- 50 g pine nuts
- small handful flat leaf parsley chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Cut your radicchio into eight segments and place on a non-stick baking tray.
- In a small bowl or jug beat together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and a pinch of sea salt. Drizzle over the radicchio and toss gently to coat in the oil.
- Roast in the oven for 10 mins.
- Turn over and add 50g pine nuts. Roast for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, stir through a small handful of chopped parsley and serve.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.