Frugal, filling and nutritious, this carrot and potato soup is a quick and easy vegan soup. Delicious served with crusty bread.
There's something soothing and satisfying about a warm bowl of soup at lunch time.
I love making different soups that use lots of vegetables - it's a great way to use them up and means you're getting plenty of nutrients in one meal.
This carrot and potato soup is very frugal - carrots, onions and potatoes are some of the cheapest vegetables you can buy.
It's a great one to make when the cupboards are almost bare and is very forgiving if your veggies are past their best.
What to serve with this soup
While you can eat this soup on it's own I like to eat it with one of the following to make it more filling:
- freshly baked soda bread
- crusty bread
- toasted sourdough
- rice cakes
You could also add some toasted seeds or pine nuts to your soup and/or a drizzle of vegan cream.
Ingredients in carrot and potato soup
For full recipe including ingredients list, quantities and method please see the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
For cooking your soup
The base for your soup. Adds lots of flavour.
Packed full of vitamin A and fibre (source: British Carrots) carrots are nutritious, cheap and readily available year-round.
Adds a delicious flavour to your soup.
Dried oregano, ground cumin, ground coriander
A spoonful of dried herbs and spices boosts the flavour.
Makes the soup creamier and more filling. Potatoes are also a source of potassium. and vitamin B1. (source: Love Potatoes)
For the best flavour use homemade vegetable stock but if you don't have time a stock cube or stock made from bouillon powder is fine.
Salt and black pepper
Season your soup to taste at the end of the cooking time - remember that your stock may have contained salt already.
You will need a jug blender or hand held blender to make your carrot and potato soup perfectly smooth.
Can this be made in advance?
Yes. This soup keeps well. Allow to cool after cooking and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Is carrot and potato soup freezable?
Absolutely. In fact this is a brilliant recipe to double up and freeze for the future.
Allow to cool completely before transferring to a freezer box or bag. Label with the recipe name and the date.
Defrost overnight in the fridge or in a saucepan with a dash of hot water added, stirring often.
More vegetable soup recipes
Here are some more of my vegetable soup recipes that you might like:
How to make potato and carrot soup
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Carrot and potato soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 medium white potatoes peeled and chopped
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the chopped onion and the carrots. Give everything a good stir then reduce the heat to low and cover your pan with a lid.
- Cook the vegetables for 15-20 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
- When soft add the garlic, stir well and cook for a further minute.
- Add a teaspoon of oregano, a teaspoon of ground cumin and a teaspoon of ground coriander. Stir well, then add your chopped potatoes and 750ml vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and cook gently under the potatoes are soft.
- If preferred you can eat this soup unblended. Alternatively allow your soup to cool then blend until smooth using a jug blender* or hand held stick blender.
- Reheat your soup and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- If using a jug blender allow the soup to cool first and take care when opening the lid as hot steam can build up.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Pin carrot and potato soup for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you loved this recipe why not let me know by leaving a rating and comment below? Alternatively you can let me know on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
FREE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL VEGAN INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox plus get my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure for more information.
l added caraway and wine, and ended up using an immersion blender, and added cream snd some pats of butter while it was boiling.