Celeriac remoulade is the classic way to eat celery root. Grated celeriac is mixed with a sauce made from mayonnaise and mustard. This simple and delicious winter salad is the perfect accompaniment to many dishes.
Celeriac remoulade is a popular winter salad in France. It's readily available in many shops in France but in the rest of the world we need to make our own.
In my opinion it's a great way to use up celeriac. It's also very easy to make a vegan celeriac remoulade.
Celeriac remoulade is a delicious starter or side dish.
What is celeriac?
Celeriac is the root of celery. It is a gnarly, lumpy looking vegetable with a subtle taste of celery. If you don’t like celery, don’t be put off - celeriac has a much milder taste. It's definitely one to try.
Celeriac also goes well with other root vegetables including potatoes. If you're unsure about trying it you could try a potato and celeriac mash first.
How to prepare celeriac
Use a sharp knife and a peeler to prepare your celeriac. Cut off the top and bottom of the root, then use your peeler to remove as much of the skin as you can. If you're struggling use a sharp knife to cut off any particularly thick bits.
Once you’ve peeled it give it a quick wash before grating.
Celeriac goes brown very quickly once it’s been peeled and cut. Once cut or grated put it into a bowl of cold water. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar (white wine or cider vinegar) to stop it browning.
Ingredients in celeriac remoulade
Full ingredients list, quantities and instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post.
You will need the following ingredients to make this celeriac salad:
- Mayonnaise, I use vegan mayonnaise
- Wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
You will need a sharp knife, a peeler and a grater to make this recipe. If you have a food processor with a grater attachment that will make grating the celeriac quicker.
Can you make this in advance?
Celeriac remoulade is best eaten fresh. It will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
How to make this vegan
Celeriac remoulade is traditionally made with mayonnaise, which isn't vegan. However, it's easy to make this suitable for vegans by using vegan mayonnaise.
There are many good brands of shop bought vegan mayo. If you would like to make your own I recommend this aquafaba mayonnaise recipe by The Minimalist Baker.
More celeriac recipes
- celeriac and chestnut buckwheat salad
- lentil shepherd's pie with celeriac mash
- butterbean and celeriac mash
- warm celeriac salad with chestnuts and blueberries
- Jerusalem artichoke and celeriac soup
- apple, cherry and celeriac flapjacks
Pin celeriac remoulade for later
How to make celeriac remoulade
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
- 1 medium celeriac peeled and grated
- Juice of one lemon
For the sauce
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise I use vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Peel your celeriac then grate by hand or in a food processor.
- Place in a bowl and cover with water mixed with the juice of one lemon, stir and cover to stop it browning while you prepare the sauce.
- Mix together six tablespoons of mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard, the juice of a lemon and a tablespoon of finely chopped flat leaf parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the celeriac, toss in the dressing and leave to soften for 30 minutes before serving.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
FREE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL VEGAN INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox plus get my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients.