You can make your own creamy, delicious oat milk at home for just a fraction of the cost of buying it. Homemade oat milk is so easy to make. Suitable for vegans.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
Oat milk has long been my dairy free milk of choice. I've never been a fan of the taste of soya milk and while I love almond milk, I don't like the taste of the cheaper brands.
While the more expensive brands of almond milk, that don't use the same preservatives, taste lovely, the cost can be prohibitive. They are so pricy!
So oat milk has become our go-to vegan milk alternative. But the cost of buying it adds up. With three kids in the house we can get through a litre, or more, a day.
Homemade oat milk on the other hand is extremely cheap. A bag of oats and a jug of water is all you need to make your own delicious oat milk. I have added a little vanilla extract to this recipe to make the oat milk extra tasty. However, this is optional and can be left out if you prefer.
What to do with your oat milk
- Drink it
- Pour it over cereal
- Make porridge/oatmeal/overnight oats with it
- Use it in coffee - or try my iced coffee
- Bake with it - try these pumpkin muffins
- Make it into smoothies or milkshakes
- Make a coffee smoothie
Do you need to shake homemade oat milk?
Yes. Unfortunately oat milk separates while in the bottle so always shake it well before using. This is true of both homemade and commercial oat milk.
What are the best kind of oats to use to make oat milk?
I usually use porridge oats, also called rolled oats, to make my oat milk.
If you are concerned about pesticide use then use organic oats.
Is oat milk gluten free?
If you use gluten free oats then technically yes, oat milk is gluten free. However, some people with gluten allergies and intolerances are also sensitive to oats so check first.
What to do with the leftover oat pulp
Once you have made your oat milk you will have some oaty pulp left over. Simply put this into your compost or food waste.
Alternatively you might like to make these chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with your leftover oat milk pulp.
Are there any downsides to making your own oat milk?
Commercially produced oat milk is fortified with vitamins. Homemade oat milk isn't - so be sure that you're including other sources of these vitamins in your diet.
Otherwise no - making homemade oat milk is easy, cheap and good for you.
Do you need any special equipment to make oat milk?
To make your own oat milk you will need:
How to store oat milk
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Shake before use.
What ingredients do you need to make oat milk?
All you need to make oat milk is:
- 100g oats
- 1 litre water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
How to make oat milk
You will need a blender* to make this recipe.
- Place all your ingredients into a blender and process until smooth.
2. Pour into a nut milk bag and squeeze the milk into a jug with your hands.
3. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Pin homemade oat milk for later
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Homemade oat milk
- 100 g oats
- 1 litre water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- Place 100g oats, 1 litre water and 1 tsp vanilla extract (if using) into your blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place your nut milk bag over a jug. I like to put this into a shallow bowl in case of any spillages.
- Pour the oat milk into the bag. Use your hands to squeeze the milk out of the bag and into the jug.
- Store in a glass bottle in the fridge. Discard the oat milk pulp or use to make cookies or another recipe.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I’ll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Cook Veggielicious. Read my full disclosure.