Roasting the tomatoes before making the soup gives this homemade vegan tomato soup a wonderful flavour. Easy to make and a delicious and healthy lunch that everyone can enjoy.
What's your favourite soup? Mine - and that of my children - has always been tomato. Not particularly the slightly orangey version that comes in a tin but this.
A delicious homemade tomato soup, vegan of course, and made with fresh tomatoes, roasted slowly with onion, garlic and plenty of olive oil. Basil is essential too.
You'll be surprised how easy this is to make. There's minimal chopping involved and the oven does most of the hard work.
You will need a blender but a stick blender will do the job just as well as a large jug blender. If you prefer just blend half of it if you like more texture to your soup.
What to serve with this soup
Serve this soup with crusty bread, croutons or perhaps a toasted bagel for a more filling meal.
A tin of chickpeas is a good addition too.
Can you freeze this soup?
Yes. It can be frozen for a convenient lunch or dinner on a busy day, or to enjoy later in the year when good quality fresh tomatoes are harder to come by.
More vegan soup recipes
If you like this you might also like:
- Jerusalem artichoke and celeriac soup
- Spiced butternut squash and sweet potato soup
- Curried Brussels sprout soup
- Tofu ramen
If you're looking for an easy bread recipe to serve with your soup why not try my easy vegan soda bread.
Pin homemade vegan tomato soup with basil for later
How to make homemade vegan tomato soup with basil
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
I highly recommend that you roast the tomatoes before making this soup as it improves the flavour significantly.
Homemade vegan tomato soup with basil
- 8 large ripe tomatoes quartered
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- handful basil leaves
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic and olive oil in a large roasting tin. Stir and roast for 20 minutes. Stir and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes. Add the basil leaves for the last five minutes.
- Transfer to a large saucepan and add the vegetable stock, balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then allow to simmer for 10 minutes before pulsing with a hand held blender* to the desired consistency. Serve immediately with bread.
Here's another delicious way to use up fresh tomatoes - this tomato curry is one of my all-time favourite recipes.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.