Spaghetti tossed with lemon and samphire is a perfect summery pasta dinner. Ready in under fifteen minutes, this quick and easy lemon and samphire pasta is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Samphire is a delicious vegetable that grows in marshland near the sea.
While there are two types of samphire - rock samphire and marsh samphire - it's marsh samphire (also known as glasswort) that you're most likely to find in the shops.
Samphire is delicious when served with pasta and makes for a delicious and slightly unusual meal that's perfect to enjoy in summer.
It is quick and easy to cook and can be steamed, boiled or fried - or even eaten raw. Serve as a side dish, with noodles, in a salad or with pasta as I've done here.
Garlic, samphire, lemon and parsley is a delicious combination. Add black pepper if liked but there's no need to add extra salt as samphire is very salty.
This recipe is best when eaten straight after cooking. However, it can be reheated safely in the microwave if you do want to make it in advance.
Allow to cool completely then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to three days.
Reheat until piping hot when ready to eat.
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe:
- pasta - I like spaghetti
- pumpkin seeds
- olive oil or vegan butter (not pictured)
How to make lemon and samphire pasta
1. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
2. Toast the pumpkin seeds and set aside.
3. Melt a spoonful of vegan butter (or olive oil) in a frying pan.
4. Add 2 cloves of crushed garlic and fry until just beginning to soften - don't allow to turn brown.
5. Add the washed samphire and cook for 3-5 minutes until just soft.
6. Drain the cooked pasta and toss into the garlic and samphire along with the zest and juice of a lemon and some chopped parsley. Season to taste with black pepper.
7. Serve with the toasted pumpkin seeds.
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Lemon and samphire spaghetti
- 150 g spaghetti or other pasta shape of choice
- 30 g pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 70 g samphire washed and any thick stems chopped off
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- Small handful flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Black pepper optional
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Heat a dry non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. When hot add 30g pumpkin seeds and toast, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and turning brown.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Pour a tablespoon of dairy free butter into the pan and heat over a medium heat until melted.
- Add two cloves of crushed garlic and fry for 30 seconds to a minute, stirring constantly.
- Next add the samphire and stir fry for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- When the spaghetti is cooked drain.
- Mix the cooked spaghetti with the garlic and samphire mixture. Add the zest and juice of a lemon and some chopped flat leaf parsley. Mix well and season with black pepper if liked.
- Serve with the toasted pumpkin seeds.
- You won’t need to add salt as the samphire is quite salty.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Pin lemon and samphire spaghetti for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
FREE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL VEGAN INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox plus get my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure for more information.