A deliciously sweet side dish for your Christmas dinner or perfect with a roast at any time of year, these maple roasted carrots are quick, easy and extremely tasty. Suitable for vegans.
This is my last vegan Christmas recipe for the year and it might be simple but it's a good one! If you can buy good quality carrots for this - ones that are still bunched with the leaves on are ideal.
These maple roasted carrots are sweet, delicious and beautifully colourful. They're the perfect thing to add to your vegan Christmas dinner as they not only taste great but they look great too and I'm all for a colourful spread on Christmas day. See more of my vegan Christmas dinner recipes.
Do you need to peel carrots?
The short answer to whether you need to peel carrots is no. As long as you give them a good wash then carrot skin is perfectly safe to eat - especially if you've bought organic (otherwise there's a risk that some pesticides may remain on the carrot skin).
Some people don't like the taste of carrot skin and so whether you want to peel them before cooking is really down to personal preference. I usually peel them for my kids, or if they're quite big, oldish looking carrots. Young carrots or baby carrots don't need to be peeled.
Another reason not to peel them is that vegetable skin usually contains lots of nutrients - which will be lost if the peelings end up in the compost rather than in our tummies.
Other vegan Christmas dinner recipes
- Chestnut and cranberry nut roast
- Balsamic Brussels sprouts
- The best vegan gravy
- Rosemary roast potatoes
- Vegan parsnip and cashew nut roast
- Vegan wellington
- Easy Christmas red cabbage (on my other blog Sneaky Veg)
- Vegan mince pies with almond pastry
Pin maple roasted carrots for later
How to make maple roasted carrots
This recipe really couldn't be easier to make.
All you need to do is:
- chop off the leaves (you can reserve these for carrot top pesto to avoid food waste)
- give them a good wash
- drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup,
- and roast until soft.
- Season with salt and pepper too if you wish.
Maple roasted carrots
- 400g carrots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Wash the carrots. There's no need to peel them if you're using quite young carrots but you can if you wish. If your carrots are different sizes you may need to cut the larger ones in half, lengthways.
- Place the carrots in a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup. Season with a little salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring halfway, until your carrots are soft.
- Serve immediately.
If you like this then you might like my roasted fennel with lemon recipe.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.