A quick and easy vegan marinated tofu recipe. Using ginger, maple and soy sauce to flavour the tofu before baking it gives it a delicious and slightly sweet flavour. This is one of my favourite tofu recipes and I'm excited to be sharing it with you here today.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
Tofu has a bad reputation - and I can understand why. Treated wrong it can be bland, tasteless and too soft. Marinating it and then baking it is the solution.
Marinate your tofu to give it time to soak up the flavours
Use strong flavours - like ginger, maple or soy - and give the tofu time to soak them up.
If you prefer you can fry it - and in fact for a truly crispy tofu this is often the best method.
Baking tofu is a little healthier
If you want to make your tofu a little healthier however, then a baked tofu recipe such as this one is your best option.
In my tofu marinade I use:
- soy sauce
- maple syrup.
The oil is needed to stop the tofu sticking - you can reduce the amount a little if you have a very good non-stick dish.
Don't forget to press your tofu
If you want your tofu to be crispy it's important to use a firm tofu and to press some of the water out.
I've explained how to do this in the notes at the end of the recipe but essentially you'll either need a tofu press* to do the job for you or some sheets of kitchen towel and a heavy book, pan or some tin cans.
If you need more information about how to press tofu try this post.
What to serve with marinated tofu
- We like to eat this marinated tofu with a stir fry. It's lovely with fresh stir fried veggies and either rice or noodles - it's up to you!
- It can also be added to ramen - Japanese noodle soup.
- Or served as part of a Buddha bowl.
More vegan tofu recipes
If you like this you might like my other tofu recipes:
- Masala scrambled tofu
- Vegan spanakopita
- Tofu banh mi
- Pad Thai
- Mushroom and tofu patties
- Tofu ricotta
What's your favourite tofu recipe? Let me know in the comments below.
Pin vegan marinated tofu with ginger and maple syrup for later
How to make vegan marinated tofu with ginger and maple syrup
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
This is a very easy to make but to get best results you really do need to press the tofu. This process squeezes out some of the water making the tofu drier and therefore crispier when baked. See the recipe notes section below for more details.
Vegan marinated tofu with ginger and maple syrup
- 400 g pack firm tofu
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch salt
- Press the tofu (see note) then chop into 2cm-sized pieces and place in a roasting tin.
- Add the other ingredients and mix carefully so that each side is covered.
- Leave to marinate in the fridge for up to an hour. If time is short you can cook immediately but you’ll get a better flavour if you leave it to marinate.
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Roast for 20 minutes then turn each piece of tofu. Roast for another 20 minutes. The tofu is ready now but you can return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes to make it even crispier.
- Serve with your favourite stir fry.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I’ll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Cook Veggielicious. Read my full disclosure.