These rainbow oven roasted root vegetables will add a splash of colour to any meal. Lightly spiced with cumin and flavoured with delicious thyme and parsley these roasted root vegetables are a brilliant vegetarian side dish.
Do you get a vegetable box or bag delivered to your home? We do and while I love it, it sometimes gets to the end of the week and I realise that I haven't used up all of the vegetables from the previous week's bag. This is especially true of root veggies. Luckily they tend to keep well.
Last week we had yellow and orange carrots, parsnips and beetroot in our bag. I often end up making a curry with beetroot, like my sweet potato and beetroot one, carrots usually get steamed and served to my kids and parsnips usually get roasted and served on the side.
Roasting root vegetables in the oven is an easy way to use them up
On this occasion though I hadn't got around to using up the veggies from last week's vegetable bag so I decided to roast them all up together.
The beauty of roasting them with beetroot is that everything (including your hands if you don't wear gloves) takes on a slight pinkish colour. Beetroot really does have the most beautiful colour doesn't it?
The disadvantage is that beetroot takes longer to roast than other vegetables - so chop them first and get them roasting in the oven while you prep the rest of the veggies. They'll take around 15 minutes longer than the carrots and parsnips, depending on their size.
What to serve with oven-roasted root vegetables
These veggies make a great side dish. I like them:
- alongside a vegan pie or wellington and some mashed potato or perhaps swede
- in a Buddha bowl type meal with other veggies, grains and salads
- as part of a roast dinner
- with a nut roast, or
- with some veggie sausages.
More recipes you might like
If you like this you might like:
Pin rainbow oven roasted root vegetables for later:
How to make rainbow oven roasted root vegetables
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Rainbow oven roasted root vegetables
- 2 beetroot
- 2 carrots
- 3 parsnips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (fan)/220°C/gas mark 7.
- Peel and chop the beetroot into small wedges. Place in a roasting tin, drizzle with oil, stir and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the other ingredients. Peel and chop the carrots and parsnips into wedges. Add to the roasting tin with the fresh thyme, the ground cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for around 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until all the vegetables are cooked through.
- Add the chopped parsley and serve.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.