Looking for a bowl of delicious vegan soup? Why not try this potato and fennel soup? It's extremely creamy with a light and refreshing taste - the fennel gives the soup a lovely fresh flavour and the potatoes make it feel hearty too. The perfect soup to mop up with some crusty bread.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
Fennel is a vegetable that, despite tasting nothing like them, belongs to the carrot family. It's long feathery fronds (sometimes mistaken for dill) and its distinctive anise taste make it stand out.
What does fennel taste like?
When I was younger I was not a fan of the taste of fennel at all. It has an anise - or aniseed taste. But if you are not a fan of liquorice don't let this put you off.
Fennel has a lovely, fresh, mild taste that is really nothing like a bar of liquorice! If you haven't tried it before I urge you to give it a go.
What should you serve with this fennel and potato soup?
While you could serve this soup on its own I think that soup is always improved with a few slices of bread.
Some crusty bread would be good, as would some sourdough toast. A friend of mine always eats savoury scones with her soup.
In truth, anything “bready” that you can use to mop up the last bits at the bottom of the bowl will do brilliantly.
What ingredients do you need to make this soup?
Full ingredients list, quantities and method in the recipe card below.
To make this fennel soup you will need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Vegetable stock
- Vegan cream - I used soya cream but oat would also be good
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
Do you need any special equipment to make this recipe?
Can you freeze this soup?
Yes. I have tested freezing this soup and it worked well. Allow the soup to cool completely before transferring to a freezer bag or box. Label with the title and the date and store in the freezer until you’re ready to eat.
More fennel recipes you might like
Here are some more vegan fennel recipes that you might like
- Roasted fennel with lemon
- Fennel and orange salad with pecan nuts
- Linguine with chickpeas, fennel and romanesco
Pin fennel and potato soup for later
How to make potato and fennel soup
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Potato and fennel soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 fennel chopped
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml vegan cream soya or oat
- Flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice half a lemon
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan with a lid.
- Add your chopped onion and fennel, stir well, then reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes or until soft. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid and add the garlic. Fry for a couple more minutes then add the chopped potatoes and 750ml hot vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until your potatoes are soft.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before blending. If using a jug blender take extra care when blending.
- Return to the pan and add 100ml vegan cream, chopped parsley, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Gently reheat and serve immediately with crusty bread.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
FREE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL VEGAN INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox plus get my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients.
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I’ll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Cook Veggielicious. Read my full disclosure.