An absolute must for any Christmas dinner table, these roasted balsamic Brussels sprouts taste divine. These are so far removed from the over boiled, soggy sprouts that you're used to that you might not even realise they're the same vegetable. Suitable for vegans.
How to prepare Brussels sprouts
Brussels sprouts aren't hard to prepare but if you're making a large batch it can take a while so choose a comfy chair, pop the radio on and get yourself a chopping board, a sharp knife and a roasting tin.
- The first step is to wash your Brussels sprouts.
- This is particularly important if they're from an organic vegetable box or bag scheme, or even from your own garden or allotment. If you can't get all the muddy bits off don't worry, you can give them another wash later after you've prepared them.
- Using a sharp knife cut the stem end of the sprout off and discard.
- Remove any outer leaves that are yellowish or look damaged.
- If your sprouts are on the large size you might want to cut them in half - the ones I used for these photos were quite young so they didn't need to be cut in half. The main thing is to make sure they're a similar size to each other so they cook evenly.
- Once prepared give them a final wash if needed and follow the recipe. If you're planning on boiling them they'll be cooked enough in under 10 minutes, depending on their size. I recommend however that you don't do this and you follow my roasted balsamic Brussels sprouts recipe below instead.
More vegan recipes you might like
Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? Check out my list of 15 of the best vegan cookbooks for inspiration.
Pin roasted balsamic Brussels sprouts for later
How to make roasted balsamic Brussels sprouts
My favourite thing about this recipe - apart from the delicious taste - is just how easy it is to make. Simply prepare the sprouts, make a quick dressing, drizzle it over the sprouts and roast. Easy.
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Roasted balsamic Brussels sprouts
- 500 g Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Beat oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper together in a small jug and set aside.
- Cut the end off the sprouts, remove any old looking leaves, and wash well. If large then cut in half.
- Place in a roasting dish and drizzle over the oil and vinegar mix.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stir and roast for another 10 minutes until soft.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.