Roasted vegetable pasta is a crowd pleasing dinner that’s a vegan and vegetarian staple. In fact when I first started cooking for myself after leaving home this is one of the recipes I made the most.
It’s particularly good in summer when these Mediterranean style vegetables are in season here in the UK. If you grow your own courgettes and tomatoes it’s a great way to use them up. Aubergines and peppers are harder to grow here - we just don’t quite have enough sun - but if you’re a keen gardener and you manage it then this recipe is the perfect use for them.
Plus who doesn’t love the kind of dinner where you stick everything in a tray in the oven and leave it to get on with cooking itself? This can’t exactly be called a one-tray dinner because you do need to cook the pasta separately but that’s hardly taxing.
What vegetables work best for roasting and serving with pasta?
I like to use Mediterranean style vegetables for this easy veggie pasta dish. Courgettes (zucchini), aubergine (eggplant), butternut squash and peppers (capsicum) all work very well. Tomatoes are essential, and while you could use a tin of chopped tomatoes I think that fresh really work best here.
The tomatoes don't take so long to cook so I usually add them in halfway through the cooking time.
You’ll also need to include onions and garlic. For roasted vegetables I prefer to use a red onion. I also like to add a little dried oregano but you could use fresh oregano or basil instead if you preferred.
What to serve with roasted Mediterranean vegetables pasta
Once you have your roasted vegetables and your pasta mixed together you pretty much have a complete meal. However, there are lots of things you can serve with it to make it even more delicious.
Here are some of my favourites:
- freshly chopped flat leaf parsley or basil
- toasted pine nuts
- grated vegan cheese
- leafy salad
- wilted spinach leaves, stirred through at the last moment
- toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- crusty bread
- focaccia or similar bread eg herb fougasse
What would you serve with roasted vegetable pasta?
Love courgettes? Find out more about how to cook them.
Here’s how to make this vegan roasted vegetable pasta recipe:
Roasted vegetable pasta
For the roasted vegetables
- 1 red onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 courgettes sliced
- 2 red or yellow peppers sliced
- 1 aubergine diced
- ½ butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 400 g cherry tomatoes
For the pasta
- 300 g dried pasta eg penne
- Freshly chopped parsley or basil
- Pine nuts toasted
- Grated vegan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place all the vegetables apart from the cherry tomatoes into a large roasting dish. Drizzle with olive oil and oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add the cherry tomatoes and stir well.
- Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain and mix with the roasted vegetables.
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley, toasted pine nuts and grated cheese.
Feeling hot? Try my vegan iced coffee recipe.
Pin roasted vegetable pasta for later