Perfect roast potatoes are an essential part of a roast dinner. My vegan rosemary roast potatoes are deliciously crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The herbs add a lovely flavour. A great addition to your Christmas dinner.
Now I don’t know about you but I LOVE roast potatoes. A good dish of crispy roast potatoes is an absolute essential part of a roast dinner for me and one of my favourite things about winter is having an excuse to put the oven on and make a good batch of roast potatoes.
I don’t always make a full roast dinner to have with them – sometimes just roast potatoes, vegan sausages and veggies is enough – especially during the week. But on other occasions – for example Christmas – it’s good to pull out all the stops and create an epic vegan roast dinner. Of which roast potatoes are an absolute must.
Plain roast potatoes are always delicious but why not make them a little extra special by adding rosemary to them. We have a rosemary plant growing in our small city garden but you can buy it in most supermarkets and greengrocers. It gives the potatoes a lovely flavour.
Are roast potatoes vegan?
Well no – not all roast potatoes are vegan. Many, particular at Christmas, are roasted with the fat from the meat that is being roasted or from fat eg goose fat that is bought especially. My rosemary roast potatoes however are roasted with sunflower oil – making them happily suitable for vegans and pretty much everyone else.
How to make rosemary roast potatoes
Roast potatoes have a reputation as something that’s hard to get right. But they’re actually pretty easy to make if you follow a few simple steps: parboil the potatoes (more about this in the recipe below), get the oil nice and hot before adding the potatoes to the dish AND turn the potatoes carefully a few times.
Rosemary roast potatoes (vegan)
- 1 kg potatoes 8 small-medium potatoes, maris piper are a good choice of potato
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Sunflower oil - 5mm layer in the roasting pan
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Peel and chop your potatoes (I quartered mine but if they’re small you can halve them)
- Place in a pan of cold water. Bring to the boil and cook until just softening. This is called parboiling.
Meanwhile place a layer of oil in your roasting tin that goes about 5mm up the side of the dish. Place in the oven to allow the oil to get hot.
- Drain the parboiled potatoes and return to the saucepan. Shake gently against the sides of the pan.
Remove the roasting tin from the oven and very carefully place the potatoes in the oil (careful it doesn’t spit as the oil will be very hot). Add the rosemary and sea salt and gently mix.
- Return the tray to the oven for 20 minutes. Remove, turn each potato over and return for 20 minutes. Repeat this turning process once more and roast for a final 20 minutes.
- Serve with a roast dinner.
If you like this you might like these other vegan roast dinner recipes: