Jerusalem artichokes roast really well. Simply combine with chopped rosemary, sea salt and oil for deliciously crunchy roasted Jerusalem artichokes that made a lovely side dish or part of a roast dinner.
As we get an organic vegetable bag every week we are often the lucky recipients of a portion of Jerusalem artichokes.
Other than making Jerusalem artichoke soup it can be hard to know what to do with them.
They roast extremely well. If you leave the skins on they go deliciously crispy. And with a little chopped rosemary and sea salt, roasted Jerusalem artichokes really are extremely tasty.
What are Jerusalem artichokes?
Jerusalem artichokes, known as sun chokes in some parts of the world, are a winter root vegetable. They have a lovely earthy flavour, but they’re unpopular in some quarters because they can cause flatulence!
Not naming any names but this seems to affect some people more than others.
Preparing Jerusalem artichokes
If they’ve come from your garden or an organic veg box scheme, chances are that your artichokes will be covered in mud. They can be fiddly to peel so I either:
- peel them in a sink full of water, or
- use a vegetable scrubbing brush to scrub them clean and cook them with the skin on.
Once peeled or scrubbed you can boil them for soup or to mash, or chop them up for roasting as I have here.
How to roast Jerusalem artichokes
- Give them a good clean - either by scrubbing or by washing and peeling.
- Chop into roughly equal sized pieces.
- Place into a roasting tin with chopped rosemary, oil and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well and roast in a pre-heated oven for around 40 minutes, until soft and crispy on the outside.
Full quantities and recipe below.
What to serve with roasted Jerusalem artichokes
These roast Jerusalem artichokes are delicious:
- as a side dish
- with a roast dinner
- in an unusual Buddha bowl style meal
- with veggie sausages or a pie
More ways to cook Jerusalem artichokes
- Jerusalem artichoke gratin
- Roasted Brussels sprouts and Jerusalem artichokes
- Jerusalem artichoke and celeriac soup
- Jerusalem artichoke purée
Pin rosemary roasted Jerusalem artichokes for later
How to make rosemary-roasted Jerusalem artichokes
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Rosemary-roasted Jerusalem artichokes
- 450 g Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 sprig rosemary leaves leaves picked and chopped
- 2-3 tbsp sunflower oil
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Wash the Jerusalem artichokes well - you may need to soak them. Scrub or peel to remove any dirt (see above).
- Chop into roughly equal pieces - halves or quarters will usually be enough.
- Place in a roasting tin with the chopped rosemary, drizzle with 2-3 tbsp sunflower oil and a pinch of sea salt. Mix well.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then stir. Put back in the oven for a further 20 minutes or until cooked through and crispy on the outside.
If you like this you might like my roasted fennel with lemon recipe.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
FREE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL VEGAN INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox plus get my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients.