This delicious spiced butternut squash and sweet potato soup is hearty, warming and suitable for vegans. It’s the perfect autumn soup recipe – why not give it a try today?
In the UK this autumn we’ve had unseasonably good weather. The Indian summer – a long period of warm, dry weather in autumn – seems to have gone on and on. It’s finally changed though. In the last week or so the heating has come on, the gloves and scarves are out and today it has rained and rained and rained.
Our new bedroom in the loft has a lot of roof above it and when it rains all night we’re treated to the sound of rain drops hitting the roof tiles ALL NIGHT LONG. Which is kind of nice and kind of annoying.
All of this is preamble to say that right now soup season has arrived. Last month I posted a summery recipe for pea and mint soup on my kid food blog Sneaky Veg, inspired by my heavenly bloggers Pilates retreat in France. That is very much a summer soup.
Today I’m sharing with you this – a recipe for spiced butternut squash and sweet potato soup. It’s full of warming flavours and spices and is perfect to warm you up on a chilly day.
How to roast butternut squash and sweet potatoes
It’s really worth taking the time to roast the butternut squash and sweet potatoes. If time is short you can boil or steam them but you won’t have the same delicious flavour that you get from roasting your vegetables.
You can eat the skin of both butternut squash and sweet potatoes, as long as it’s been washed. However, for soup making I think it’s better to peel them first. Once peeled simply chop the vegetables up into similar sized pieces, drizzle with oil and the spices of your choice and roast for 30-40 minutes in a hot oven.
In this recipe the squash and sweet potatoes are roasted together with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. These are lovely warming spices that complement the natural sweetness of the vegetables and give them a wonderful flavour.
How to make spiced butternut squash and sweet potato soup
Spiced butternut squash and sweet potato soup
- 600 g butternut squash 400g prepared weight
- 400 g sweet potato
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 750 ml-1 litre vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- dairy free cream to serve
- Roast the butternut squash and sweet potato with the olive oil and spices for 40 minutes, stirring halfway, or until soft and golden.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook until soft and golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Stir in the cooked squash and sweet potato making sure that you get all the spices out of the roasting tin and into the saucepan.
Add 500ml vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil then turn off the heat.
- Use a hand blender to puree until smooth. Check the consistency and add more vegetable stock if you prefer a more liquid soup.
- If you don’t have a hand blender and need to transfer this to a jug blender allow it to cool first.
Serve with crusty bread.
Other vegan soup recipes
Looking for a new cookbook? Here are 15 of the best vegan cookbooks.