Make my spiced carrot soup for a delicious lunch that packs all the punches in terms of flavour. Made with roasted carrots for their incredible flavour. Suitable for vegans.
Curried carrot soup is really delicious. It is spicy, but not overly, creamy and satisfying.
I think this is one of the soup recipes that I've ever made. It goes really well with crusty bread. I like to add a little cayenne pepper, coconut milk and some toasted seeds to the top before serving.
Roast the carrots before making this soup
I like to roast the carrots in the oven before making the soup. I'm a huge fan of roasting most vegetables to be honest. I think it gives them a much better flavour.
However, if time is short, you can of course boil or steam them. Your spiced carrot soup will still taste amazing.
Is this spiced carrot soup vegan?
Yes, like all the recipes on Cook Veggielicious, this carrot soup is vegan-friendly. The creaminess comes from the coconut milk.
The vegetables are cooked in olive oil, not butter.
You can serve it with a little extra coconut milk or perhaps some vegan cream to make it even tastier.
Blending the soup
This recipe does need to be blended before serving. A hand held stick blender will do a good job but will take a little time to get the soup completely smooth.
You could also use a jug blender. This will get a smoother result but do take care. You will need to let the soup cool first and consider doing it in two batches. The reason for this is that hot liquid in a jug blender can build up pressure causing the lid to pop off. This is both dangerous and extremely messy.
If you've ever had a blender explosion in your kitchen then you'll know what I mean.
Blend away but take care! And enjoy the soup!
More vegan soup recipes
- Curried parsnip soup
- Butternut squash and sweet potato soup
- Tomato and basil soup
- Jerusalem artichoke and celeriac soup
- Vegetable, spinach and borlotti bean soup
- Curried Brussels sprout soup
- Root vegetable soup
- Leek and parsnip soup
If you're looking for an easy bread recipe to serve with your soup why not try my easy vegan soda bread.
Pin spiced carrot soup for later
How to make spiced carrot soup
As I mentioned above I highly recommend that you roast the carrots to make this recipe.
Spiced carrot soup
- 5-6 medium carrots
- Olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 500 ml hot vegetable stock
- 400 g coconut milk tinned
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh coriander
- Toasted nuts or seeds
- Vegan cream
- Cayenne pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Peel 5-6 medium carrots and cut into rounds. Place in a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil. Stir.
- Roast the carrots in the pre-heated oven until soft*. This will take 40-45 minutes.
- While the carrots are cooking heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large saucepan.
- Add 1 chopped onion and fry over a medium heat until soft and golden brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add 3 cloves of crushed garlic, stir for a minute then add 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp chilli powder. Stir.
- Add the roasted carrots, then add one tin of coconut milk and 500ml of vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Blend using a hand held blender or allow to cool and transfer to a jug blender and blitz until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with bread, fresh coriander, toasted nuts or seeds and/or vegan cream.