This is undoubtedly the best vegan banana bread I’ve ever made. It’s spiced with ginger and cinnamon and the molasses add a deep sweetness that’s hard to beat.
I have made many different types of vegan banana bread over the years. I’m particularly fond of Bo’s Kitchen’s marbled banana bread.
Over on my other blog, Sneaky Veg, you’ll find the following banana bread recipes:
This is the first time that I’ve made my banana bread with molasses however. And I can’t deny that it’s been a total game changer. The deep sweetness of the molasses is incredible and I’m not sure now that I can ever go back to making banana bread without it.
Molasses banana bread is the way to go.
But what is molasses?
Molasses is a type of sugar. It is a by-product of the sugar production system. While raw sugar is being refined it produces a thick, dark syrup. This syrup is known as molasses.
Molasses is very similar to what we in the UK call black treacle. As is so often the case when you try to find things out on the internet I discovered that whether molasses is exactly the same thing as black treacle is a matter of some debate. However, they are very similar and if you want to use black treacle in this recipe it’ll turn out great.
Can I use another kind of syrup?
If you don’t have molasses or treacle you can use any kind of syrup. Date syrup, maple syrup and agave all work well. You’ll end up with a lighter banana bread. I haven’t tested golden syrup but it should also work fine.
More of my vegan cake recipes
- Vegan chocolate cupcakes with raspberry frosting
- Oreo cake
- Spiced apple cake
- Banana chocolate chip muffins
How to make spiced vegan banana bread
The ultimate spiced vegan banana bread
- 175 g caster sugar
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 g water
- 100 g molasses or sub maple or agave syrup
- 100 g sunflower oil
- 3 medium very ripe bananas mashed
- 100 g raisins or chocolate chips optional
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan. Grease and base line a 1kg loaf tin with a sheet of baking parchment. If you allow a little overhang on the long sides you can use this to help you lift the cake out later.
Add 250g plain flour, 175g caster sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1 tsp ground ginger and 1 tsp ground cinnamon to a large bowl. Whisk gently until thoroughly combined.
Place 100ml water, 100g molasses and 100g sunflower oil into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly so that it doesn't burn. As soon as it's just boiling pour it over the dry ingredients and stir well until combined.
Stir in the three mashed bananas and 100g raisins or chocolate chips (if using) until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes turning the tin around halfway until it feels springy to the touch.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
Pin the ultimate spiced vegan banana bread for later