A quick and simple vegan sun-dried tomato pasta sauce that packs all the punches in terms of flavour. Spiced with chipotle chillies, loaded with veggies and with a crunchy protein hit from the walnuts this sauce is a cut above.
What's your favourite pasta sauce? For years I've been blending the hell out of my pasta sauces just to get my picky eating kids to eat them.
One day I discovered that putting some chopped sun-dried tomatoes into the sauce made it taste about 150 times better. So they rapidly became my new favourite ingredient.
Why you should try this sun-dried tomato pasta sauce
If you haven't added sun-dried tomatoes to your pasta sauce yet then now is the time to start. Sundried tomatoes are ripe tomatoes that have been dried in the sun. This causes them to lose most of the water content and take on a slightly leathery appearance.
Sun-dried tomatoes are usually sold jarred in olive oil. The oil that they're stored in has a lovely taste as well. I'd suggest adding a little of this to your sauce as well. Alternatively you could use it to cook with or pour over salad leaves when the jar is empty.
I love the addition of the crumbled walnuts here. Their crunchiness and taste distracts me from missing having cheese with my pasta. Plus they are a great source of protein for vegans.
If you're looking for vegan inspiration then take a look at these 31 vegan recipes I've pulled together for metro.co.uk.
More vegan pasta dishes
- Spinach and mushroom vegan rotolo
- 20 easy vegan pasta recipes
- Roasted vegetable pasta
- Orzo pasta salad with chickpea and kale
- Roasted tomato and asparagus pasta
Pin sun-dried tomato pasta sauce with walnuts and chipotle for later:
How to make sun-dried tomato pasta sauce with walnuts and chipotle
Sun-dried tomato pasta sauce with walnuts and chipotle
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 medium carrot peeled and grated
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chilli flakes or adjust to taste
- 4 sun dried tomatoes from a jar finely chopped or use 1-2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 40 g walnuts crumbled
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, stir then reduce the heat to low and cover. Sweat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove the lid.
- Now add the crushed garlic and continue frying for a further minute.
- Next put the grated carrot, chopped tomatoes, chilli flakes and sundried tomatoes into the pan and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Put the walnuts into the pan and allow to warm through.
- Finally add the chopped parsley and season with salt to taste.
- Serve with the pasta of your choice.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.