A quick and simple vegan sun-dried tomato pasta sauce that packs all the punches in terms of flavour. Spiced with chipotle chillies, loaded with veggies and with a crunchy protein hit from the walnuts this sauce is a cut above.
There's something about the intensity of flavour in sun-dried tomatoes that has put them near the top of the leaderboard in my favourite vegan ingredients.
Adding some chopped sun-dried tomatoes to a simple pasta sauce improves the flavour an astonishing amount.
I've combined them in this sun-dried tomato pasta sauce recipe with crunchy, nutrient-packed walnuts and smoky chipotle chilli flakes for a flavour sensation I just know you are going to love.
This is the best pasta sauce I've ever made and here's why.
This recipe is:
- amazing tasting (see above)
- simple to make
- great for batch cooking - freezer friendly
What are sun-dried tomatoes?
Sun-dried tomatoes are simply ripe tomatoes that have been dried in the sun.
This causes them to lose most of the water content and take on a slightly leathery appearance.
Sun-dried tomatoes are usually sold jarred in olive oil.
Don't waste the oil
The oil that sun-dried tomatoes are stored in has a lovely taste as well.
Add a little of the oil to your pasta sauce, save it to cook another recipe with or use it in a salad dressing.
Eat more walnuts
Adding chopped walnuts to this sauce adds a delicious savoury crunch that really helped me out when I first became vegan. I missed cheese a lot.
Walnuts are a great source of protein as well as the following nutrients:
- healthy fats
- omega 3
- vitamin E
- vitamin B6
This recipe is great for batch cooking and keeps in the fridge for up to five days or the freezer for at least three months.
To make sun-dried tomato pasta sauce you will need:
- olive oil
- tin of chopped tomatoes
- chipotle chilli flakes
- sun-dried tomatoes
- walnuts crumbled
- flat leaf parsley
How to make sun-dried tomato pasta sauce
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Sun-dried tomato pasta sauce with walnuts and chipotle
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 medium carrot peeled and grated
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chilli flakes or adjust to taste
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped or use 1-2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 40 g walnuts crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, stir then reduce the heat to low and cover. Sweat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove the lid.
- Now add the crushed garlic and continue frying for a further minute.
- Next put the grated carrot, chopped tomatoes, chilli flakes and sundried tomatoes into the pan and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Put the walnuts into the pan and allow to warm through.
- Finally add the chopped parsley and season with salt to taste.
- Serve with the pasta of your choice.
Pin sun-dried tomato pasta sauce for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.