A quick and simple vegan sun-dried tomato pasta sauce that packs all the punches in terms of flavour. Spiced with chipotle chillies, loaded with veggies and with a crunchy protein hit from the walnuts this sauce is a cut above.
What’s your favourite pasta sauce? For years I’ve been blending the hell out of my pasta sauces just to get my picky eating kids to eat them. One day I discovered that putting some chopped sun-dried tomatoes into the sauce made it taste about 150 times better and they rapidly became my new favourite ingredient.
Why you should try this sun-dried tomato pasta sauce
If you haven’t added sun-dried tomatoes to your pasta sauce yet then now is the time to start. They are simply lovely ripe tomatoes that have been dried for ages in the sun, causing them to lose most of the water. They are usually sold jarred in olive oil and the oil that they’re stored in has a lovely taste as well – I’d suggest adding a little of this to your sauce as well or using it to cook with or on salad leaves when the jar is empty.
I love the addition of the crumbled walnuts here. Their crunchiness and taste distracts me from missing having cheese with my pasta and they are a great source of protein for vegans. I’m not a full time vegan but I am doing Veganuary this year – that is I’m eating vegan for the month of January – and I do eat vegan food most of the time these days*. If you’re looking for vegan inspiration then take a look at these 31 vegan recipes I’ve pulled together for metro.co.uk.
How to make sun-dried tomato pasta sauce with walnuts and chipotle
Sun-dried tomato pasta sauce with walnuts and chipotle
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 medium carrot peeled and grated
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chilli flakes or adjust to taste
- 4 sun dried tomatoes from a jar finely chopped or use 1-2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 40 g walnuts crumbled
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, stir then reduce the heat to low and cover. Sweat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove the lid.
- Now add the crushed garlic and continue frying for a further minute.
Next put the grated carrot, chopped tomatoes, chilli flakes and sundried tomatoes into the pan and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Put the walnuts into the pan and allow to warm through.
- Finally add the chopped parsley and season with salt to taste.
- Serve with the pasta of your choice.
Pin sun-dried tomato pasta sauce with walnuts and chipotle for later:
I’ve linked this post up to Cook Blog Share: