This sweet potato and beetroot curry is just about the best vegan curry I've ever made. The roasted vegetables give it a delicious, earthy flavour and the spices bring the whole dish together to provide a wonderful vegetarian meal.
When I was in my twenties I did an Indian cookery course while travelling.
Those three days of the course were some of the best of my life. We learnt how to cook several classic Indian dishes in a small mountainside house over a kerosene stove.
Some of them - like idli and dosa - I am less likely to make at home. However, there are many - like the red lentil dhal for example - that have become part of my regular home cooking.
Sweet potatoes are not very common in Indian cooking.
Nevertheless this curry uses the same basic methods and ingredients that we used on that course and I think it makes a wonderful meal.
This curry is a great use for fresh beetroot
If you get beetroot in your veg box and you don't know what to do with them then this vegetarian curry is a great option.
Beetroots take ages to roast so I would recommend chopping them quite small - but it's well worth the wait for the flavour. If you use the pre-cooked beetroot you'll be missing out - trust me.
If you are lucky enough to have the stalks and leaves still attached to your beetroot then don't throw them away - they can be used in the curry too. However, don't worry if you don't have them - they're not essential.
This sweet potato and beetroot curry is also delicious with a tin of chickpeas added.
I hope you enjoy this recipe if you decide to make it - do let me know in the comments below.
Other vegan curry recipes
- Indian-spiced root vegetable curry
- Coconut green bean curry
- Aubergine and chickpea curry
- Potato and spinach (saag aloo)
- Sri Lankan okra curry
- Tandoori cauliflower curry
- Coconut dal
- Afghan pumpkin curry
- Easy one pot carrot curry
- Easy red lentil dal (on my other blog Sneaky Veg)
- Vegan tofu tikka
How to make sweet potato and beetroot curry
Roasting the sweet potato and beetroot before adding them to the sauce gives great results in this dish. However, if you're pressed for time you can steam or boil them instead.
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Sweet potato and beetroot curry
- 3 beetroot peeled and chopped
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil separated
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes adjust to taste
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- Thumb sized piece of ginger chopped
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- Small handful fresh coriander chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place the chopped beetroot into an oven proof dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Add the mustard and cumin seeds. Stir well.
- Roast for 20 minutes then add the sweet potatoes. Stir after 20 minutes then return for a further 20 minutes or until everything is soft.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a saucepan. Add the cumin seeds.
- As soon as they start to turn brown add the onion. Stir often and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric and chilli flakes. Stir and cook for a minute before adding the chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil then simmer before adding the garam masala, the cooked vegetables and the coriander. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice or bread and my personal favourite - lime pickle!
If you like this you might like this beetroot soup recipe.
Pin sweet potato and beetroot curry for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.