This sweet potato and beetroot curry is just about the best vegan curry I've ever made. The roasted vegetables give it a delicious, earthy flavour and the spices bring the whole dish together to provide a wonderful vegetarian meal.
Seeing as this is my husband's favourite dinner at the moment it seemed like a great recipe to post as the first one on my brand new blog.
We eat a lot of Indian food at home
We learnt how to cook Indian food on a cookery course in India that we went on in our twenties, before we got all grown up and had serious jobs/kids/a mortgage to take care of.
Those three days of the course were some of the happiest of my life. We learnt how to cook several classic Indian dishes in a small mountainside house over a kerosene stove.
Some of them - like idli and dosa - I am less likely to make at home. However, there are many - like the red lentil dhal for example - that have become part of our regular cooking.
Sweet potatoes are not very common in Indian cooking - but this curry uses the same basic methods and ingredients that we used back then and I think it makes a wonderful meal.
This curry is a great use for fresh beetroot
If you get beetroot in your veg box and you don't know what to do with them then this vegetarian curry is a great option.
Beetroots take ages to roast so I would recommend chopping them quite small - but it's well worth the wait for the flavour. If you use the pre-cooked beetroot you'll be missing out - trust me.
If you are lucky enough to have the stalks and leaves still attached to your beetroot then don't throw them away - they can be used in the curry too. However, don't worry if you don't have them - they're not essential.
This sweet potato and beetroot curry is also delicious with a tin of chickpeas added.
I hope you enjoy this recipe if you decide to make it - do let me know in the comments below!
Other vegan curry recipes
Pin sweet potato and beetroot curry for later:
How to make sweet potato and beetroot curry
Roasting the sweet potato and beetroot before adding them to the sauce gives great results in this dish. However, if you're pressed for time you can steam or boil them instead.
Sweet potato and beetroot curry
- 3 beetroot peeled and chopped
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- Sunflower oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli flakes adjust to taste
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- Thumb sized piece of ginger chopped
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Fresh coriander chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place the chopped beetroot into an oven proof dish and drizzle with oil. Add the mustard and cumin seeds. Stir well.
- Roast for 20 minutes then add the sweet potatoes. Stir after 20 minutes then return for a further 20 minutes or until everything is soft.
- Meanwhile heat a little oil in a saucepan. Add the cumin seeds. As soon as they start to turn brown add the onion. Stir often and cook until soft. Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric and chilli flakes. Stir and cook for a minute before adding the chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil then simmer before adding the garam masala, the cooked vegetables and the coriander. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice or bread and my personal favourite - lime pickle!
If you like this you might like this beetroot soup recipe.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.