A delicious, hearty vegan gravy recipe that's packed full of flavour. Perfect for your veggie roast dinner, with mashed potatoes or for your vegan Christmas dinner.
This vegan gravy recipes has a secret ingredient
It took me a while to get a vegan onion gravy recipe that I was happy with but this really hits the spot.
It's got a lovely flavour thanks to the secret ingredient - which is marmite.
Marmite adds an incredible umami - deeply savoury - flavour to this gravy, which is hard to beat.
Is Marmite suitable for vegans?
Yes, Marmite is suitable for vegans - although according to their website the 70g jar is only suitable for vegetarians.
Marmite is a spread made from yeast extract. It's naturally high in vitamin B12 and folic acid. If you're not in the UK you may be able to find it in the international section, or look for a non-branded yeast extract. If you're in Australia Vegemite would do a similar job.
If you can't find it try using miso paste or soy sauce instead.
This gravy is perfect with a vegan roast dinner
I love this gravy poured over a roast dinner. In fact I find roast dinners really disappointing when there isn't any gravy with them.
An onion gravy is always my favourite and it's surprisingly easy to make a satisfying vegan version.
It's also delicious with mashed potato, with or without sausages (vegan of course) or with a good pie.
What do you like to eat with gravy? When I visited the Isle of Man last year I was told that chips and gravy are a local speciality! Maybe I should give it a go...
More vegan roast dinner recipes:
- Chestnut and cranberry nut roast
- Parsnip wellington
- Rosemary roast potatoes
- Balsamic Brussels sprouts
- Easy Christmas red cabbage
- Parsnip, chestnut and sage nut roast
- How to make the ultimate vegan Christmas dinner
Some of these recipes appear on my other blog Sneaky Veg
Looking for a good vegan cookbook? Here are 15 of the best vegan cookbooks.
For full ingredients list, quantities and instructions see recipe card at the end of this post.
To make this easy vegan onion gravy you will need:
- dairy free spread
- a white onion
- garlic granules (you could use 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic instead if you prefer)
- plain flour, to thicken your gravy
- red white, optional
- hot vegetable stock
- marmite or other yeast extract, sub miso or soy sauce if you can't find it
- Salt and pepper, to tate
- Small handful parsley
How to make the best vegan gravy
Here are some of my top tips for making your vegan gravy epic:
- take the time to fry the onions properly. Spend at least 10-15 minutes cooking them slowly and you'll have a much richer flavour.
- when it comes to your vegetable stock use stock from a packet if you're pushed for time but a good homemade veggie stock will make this even better.
- add a splash of red wine - this isn't essential but it adds a lovely flavour to your vegan gravy.
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
- 1 tablespoon dairy free spread
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- Splash of red wine optional
- 500 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon marmite
- Salt and pepper
- Small handful parsley chopped
- Melt 1 tbsp dairy free spread in a medium saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add 1 chopped onion and sauté until soft.
- Stir in 1 tsp garlic granules and 1 tbsp plain flour and cook for one minute.
- Add a splash of red wine (if using) and heat until reduced. Stir often. Add the 500ml hot vegetable stock, little by little, stirring as you go, allowing it to thicken before adding more. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tbsp marmite and a small handful of chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Either serve as it is or for a smooth gravy push it through a sieve into a serving jug or gravy boat.
- Keeps in the fridge for several days. It may separate, in which case stir it well as you reheat.
If you like this you might like my homemade mint sauce.
Pin the best vegan gravy recipe for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.