This vegan baba ganoush recipe is made from aubergine, tahini, garlic and lemon juice. The ingredients combine to make a dangerously moreish, creamy aubergine dip that's perfect with any mezze spread.
This vegan baba ganoush tastes SO good. In fact the first time I made it I ate the entire batch on my own while everyone else in the family was out at work or school. Oops.
Luckily I have a greengrocer at the end of the road so I could pop down and pick up a couple more aubergines so nobody had to miss out.
This aubergine dip is now one of my favourite recipes.
What is baba ganoush?
Baba ganoush is a dip made from aubergines. It's common across the middle east, in countries such as Israel, Lebanon, Syria and Turkey.
The aubergine (or eggplant) is cooked and then mixed with tahini. Other ingredients include olive oil, lemon juice, salt and sometimes cumin. Ingredients used in baba ganoush vary from recipe to recipe so feel free to make it your own. I've shared my favourite combination here.
Do you need to cook the aubergine on a flame to make smoky aubergine dip?
Traditionally baba ganoush is made by cooking the aubergines whole on the flame of a gas stove or under a grill. If you use this method your baba ganoush will have a delicious smoky flavour.
If, like me, you prefer an easy life or you don't want to mess around with cooking on flames, you can follow my method below. I have roasted the aubergine in the oven instead. All you need to do is cut your aubergine in half lengthways, score the flesh with a sharp knife and brush with olive oil.
Then while the aubergine roasts away you're free to get the rest of the ingredients ready.
What to serve this vegan dip with?
This vegan baba ganoush is delicious eaten on its own with some warm pitta bread. It's also perfect as part of a mezze meal.
You could serve your baba ganoush with:
- Greek-style butter beans
- cauliflower bulgur pilaf
- shredded cabbage salad
- jackfruit gyros
- fava bean dip
- beetroot dip
- cauliflower hummus
- Israeli salad
- quinoa tabbouleh
- harissa hummus
How to make vegan baba ganoush
You will need a blender or food processor for this recipe.
Vegan baba ganoush
- 2 aubergines
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp ground cumin optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lemons juiced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Salt to taste
- Small handful of flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Paprika for garnish
- Extra olive oil optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/ gas mark 6. Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthways. Using a sharp knife cut a criss cross pattern into the aubergine flesh. Take care not to cut through the skins. Brush with olive oil and place in the oven for 40-45 minutes until soft.
- When cooked remove from the oven and leave aside to cool.
- When cool remove the skins from the aubergine. Place all the ingredients apart from the salt, parsley and paprika into a food processor or high speed blender. Pulse until well combined.
- Taste and season with salt if needed.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with chopped flat leaf parsley, paprika and extra olive oil if desired.
Pin vegan baba ganoush for later