Green bean curry made with coconut milk, curry leaves and warming spices. This delicious Sri Lankan style vegan curry can be made using any type of green beans.
Some dishes just taste full of goodness and this is one of them. The fresh green beans combined with spices and hearty coconut milk make this a healthy, delicious and satisfying supper.
This vegan green bean curry is an excellent way to use up green beans or runner beans, particularly if you’ve had a late summer glut of beans in your garden or allotment. I used a mixture of French beans and runner beans from my friend’s mum’s garden – and very good they were too! If you can find them you could use snake beans (also known as yardlong beans, bodi or Chinese long beans) here too.
I love a spicy vegan coconut curry recipe. I often think of Thai recipes when planning a coconut curry but coconut milk works perfectly in Sri Lankan or Indian style curries as well. This coconut green bean curry recipe is a great example.
You can make this dish with garam masala or if you prefer you can use a Sri Lankan curry powder. Why not try my roasted Sri Lankan curry powder recipe? You’ll also need curry leaves. You should be able to get these from a large supermarket or Asian shop. I usually buy a large bag when I see them and keep them in the freezer. They really do add a wonderful flavour to this green bean curry so do try to find them if you can.
This green bean curry goes perfectly with steamed rice and coconut sambol.
How to make green bean curry with coconut
This Sri Lankan-style green bean curry doesn’t take long to make. First you’ll need to make a paste, then you fry off the spices before adding the beans, paste and coconut milk.
Green bean and coconut curry
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- A thumb sized piece of ginger chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- Small handful coriander roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 400 g green beans French, dwarf or runner beans
- 400 g tin coconut milk
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tbsp garam masala or Sri Lankan curry powder
- Fresh coriander
- Place the chilli, onion, ginger, garlic and coriander in a food processor and pulse into a paste.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When they start to pop add the paste, the turmeric and the cinnamon and stir well.
Cook for a minute or two to reduce slightly then add the green beans. Stir until coated in the paste and add the coconut milk.
- Bring to the boil and then cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the beans are soft.
- Add the juice of one lime and serve with coriander.
More recipes you might like
If you like this you might like:
- Green beans with tomatoes and olives
- Sri Lankan okra curry
- Roasted Sri Lankan curry powder
- Vegan aloo gobi
- Indian-spiced root vegetable curry
- Easy one pot carrot curry