This recipe for vegan corn fritters really is the most delicious one I've ever made. It's easy to make, tastes great and makes a perfect vegan brunch, lunch or dinner recipe.
I love how straightforward these vegan sweetcorn fritters are to make. They're largely made with store cupboard ingredients such as tinned or frozen corn, spices and chickpea flour (that's assuming that you're the kind of house where chickpea flour is a store cupboard ingredient - if you're not you should be!!).
I've made sweetcorn fritters lots of times in the past and although they're often made with egg it's actually extremely easy to make them vegan. Chickpea flour - also known as besan or gram flour - makes a wonderful batter when mixed with water and so there's no need for an egg substitute.
Although I usually have corn fritters for lunch, they also make a delicious breakfast or brunch recipe, perhaps served with some beans. See more vegan breakfast ideas. Alternatively they make a great side dish for dinner perhaps with a vegan chilli or this smoky pulled jackfruit. A side of avocado - or guacamole - is a great addition to these sweetcorn fritters. See more vegan dinner recipes.
How to make vegan corn fritters
You can make sweetcorn fritters using tinned or frozen corn. If you're using fresh you'll need to remove it from the cob and cook it for a few minutes before proceeding with this recipe.
It's also important to make sure you cook the fritters slowly. Heat the oil in a frying pan and reduce the heat to low-medium before adding a spoonful of the batter. If the outside cooks too quickly it'll burn before the inside is cooked.
Vegan corn fritters
- 200 g sweetcorn tinned or frozen
- 120 g gram flour (chickpea flour) sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 green chilli sliced or 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Small handful chopped parsley
- 160 ml water
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Mix the dry ingredients together with the sweetcorn and whisk in the water gradually until you have a thick batter.
- Heat a tbsp of sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add a tbsp of batter, fry for three minutes over a low-medium heat (don't rush it or the inside won't cook through), then flip and cook the other side for a further three minutes until golden brown.
- Delicious served with avocado, a yoghurt dip, with spicy beans or on the side of a veggie chilli.
Pin vegan corn fritters for later