Delicious vegan corn fritters. Easy to make and taste incredible. Perfect for a vegan brunch, lunch or dinner.
Have you tried sweetcorn fritters before?
They're a real favourite of mine.
Easy to make
I love how straightforward these vegan sweetcorn fritters are to make.
They're largely made with store cupboard ingredients such as tinned or frozen corn and spices.
Not only are they packed full of veggies they're also a great source of plant-based protein. This protein comes from chickpea flour.
Chickpea flour binds these corn fritters together
If chickpea flour isn't already a store cupboard ingredient for you then it should be. It's an invaluable vegan ingredient.
Chickpea flour - also known as besan or gram flour - makes a wonderful batter when mixed with water. This means that there's no need for an egg substitute when making your corn fritters.
What to serve with corn fritters
Although I usually have corn fritters for lunch, they also make a delicious breakfast or brunch recipe, perhaps served with some beans.
A side of avocado - or guacamole - is a great addition to these sweetcorn fritters.
See more vegan breakfast ideas.
Freeze your corn fritters for later
If you can't eat all your fritters in one go they freeze really well.
Simply freeze on a tray for an hour before transferring to a bag or box. This is to stop them from sticking together.
Defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat in the oven.
Pin vegan corn fritters for later
If you like this you might like this green rice, my roasted corn on the cob or this vegan chard frittata. I often make corn fritters using Indian spices like on this recipe on my kid food blog Sneaky Veg.
How to make vegan corn fritters
You can make sweetcorn fritters using tinned or frozen corn. If you're using fresh you'll need to remove it from the cob and cook it for a few minutes before proceeding with this recipe.
It's also important to make sure you cook the fritters slowly. Heat the oil in a frying pan and reduce the heat to low-medium before adding a spoonful of the batter. If the outside cooks too quickly it'll burn before the inside is cooked.
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Vegan corn fritters
- 200 g sweetcorn tinned or frozen
- 120 g gram flour (chickpea flour) sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 green chilli sliced or ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Small handful flat leaf parsley
- 160 ml water
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil for frying
- Mix the dry ingredients (120g sifted gram flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder and ½ teaspoon ground cumin together with a sliced chilli, 200g sweetcorn and some chopped parsley. Stir well.
- Whisk in 160ml water gradually until you have a thick batter.
- Heat a tbsp of sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add a tbsp of batter, fry for three minutes over a low-medium heat (don't rush it or the inside won't cook through), then flip and cook the other side for a further three minutes until golden brown.
- Delicious served with avocado, a yoghurt dip, with spicy beans or on the side of a veggie chilli.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
FREE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL VEGAN INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox plus get my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients.