Deliciously tart, gooseberries are a classic British summer fruit. Paired with a crunchy almond topping, this vegan gooseberry crumble recipe is a wonderful summer dessert. Best served with custard, cream or ice cream.
I've always loved gooseberries. For me they evoke memories of those long, hot, dry summers of my childhood. This summer, July 2018, feels a lot like one of those summers too. Dry grass in the parks, talk of hose pipe bans and days and days without rain. I for one am enjoying the sunshine but my garden could desperately do with few showers!
Memories of days spent sliding down (probably very dangerous) water slides made with large sheets of plastic in a park near my granny's house and the sight of yellow dry grass everywhere are mingled for me with outings to go fruit picking and being sent home from my grandparent's house with bags of summer fruits. Which would inevitably be turned into crumble or pie by my mum when we got home.
What are gooseberries?
Gooseberries are a tart-tasting berry. They're most often used in puddings such as pie or crumble or in jam.
There are several different types of gooseberry - with green ones being the most common in the supermarkets. You can also get red gooseberries, which are slightly sweeter. I like the tart taste of gooseberries but it's common to add sugar to sweeten them.
This crumble is sweetened with coconut sugar
In this vegan crumble recipe I've used coconut sugar, a healthier alternative to white sugar.
However, if you don't have any to hand caster sugar works just as well. Feel free to add more or less depending on your personal taste.
What to serve with gooseberry crumble
Because it's such a perfect dessert for summer I like to eat gooseberry crumble with either cream or ice cream, but it's equally delicious with custard.
In the photograph above I've used The Coconut Collaborative frozen yoghurt, which is amazing.
Pin vegan gooseberry crumble for later:
How to make vegan gooseberry crumble
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Vegan gooseberry crumble
- 400 g gooseberries
- 50 g coconut sugar or caster sugar if preferred
For the topping
- 75 g plain wholemeal or spelt flour
- 45 g vegan butter
- 30 g coconut sugar or caster sugar if preferred
- 35 g chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/ gas mark 6.
- Top and tail the gooseberries, removing any spiky bits. Wash well.
- Place in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the coconut sugar.
To make the topping
- Place the flour and vegan butter in a mixing bowl and rub together with your finger tips until you have the consistency of breadcrumbs. You can do this step in a food processor if preferred.
- Stir in the sugar and finally the almonds.
- Pour the topping over the gooseberries and cook in the oven for 25 minutes or until the topping has turned golden brown.face
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.