With a vibrant colour and a deep flavour, this beetroot soup is filling and satisfying. Inspired by borscht, this soup is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
It’s lucky that I enjoy it so much as it often appears in my weekly vegetable bag.
I’ve been enjoying making this beetroot soup with my organic beetroot lately. It has the most beautiful colour and a deep satisfying flavour.
What is another name for beetroot soup?
Great question! Beetroot soup is often known as borscht.
Borscht is a soup made from beetroot that comes from Russia, Ukraine and other countries in eastern Europe. Borscht is actually the Russian and Ukrainian name for it - in other countries it’s known by different names. In Poland for example it's called barszcz.
There are many different varieties. It can be made with vegetable stock or meat stock and some recipes include potatoes or other vegetables too, while others are very simple.
Some traditional recipes are made with a soured, slightly fermented beetroot juice. Other recipes use sour cream instead.
Whatever you call it, my beetroot soup, or borscht, is suitable for vegans.
Is beetroot soup healthy?
This is a healthy vegan borscht recipe. There are just 140 calories and 4 grams of fat per serving.
To make it even healthier you may want to consider using a low-salt vegetable stock or leaving out the vegan cream.
Make in advance
Beetroot soup is perfect for making ahead of time as it reheats very well.
Follow the recipe below up to the blending stage. Add the dill and cream once you are ready to serve.
How to store vegan borscht
If you’re making your soup ahead of time allow it to cool completely then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
When ready to serve reheat until piping hot.
Is it freezer friendly?
Yes. Allow your soup to cool down and then transfer to a freezer-proof container or bag. Label and date and store in the freezer for up to three months.
Once you’re ready to eat your soup defrost overnight in the fridge then reheat until piping hot.
What to serve with beetroot soup
I like to serve my beetroot soup with freshly chopped dill, vegan cream (I like oat cream) and some crusty bread.
Rye bread is particularly good.
What ingredients do you need to make vegan borscht?
For full ingredients list, quantities and instructions see recipe card at the end of this post.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this beetroot soup:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 medium beetroot (around 800g unpeeled weight)
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped (350g weight)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Fresh dill
- Vegan cream
- Salt and pepper
If you would like to use pre-cooked beetroot add it in after the potato is cooked.
This soup is suitable for vegans. However, it's always best to check the ingredients on your vegetable stock and dairy free cream to be sure. Milk powder and other non-vegan ingredients can pop up in unexpected places.
It’s gluten free as well - but do check your vegetable stock as some brands contain gluten. Oat cream isn't suitable for many people following a gluten free diet so you may wish to use an alternative.
Pin beetroot soup for later
How to cook beetroot soup
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan with a lid
- Blender or hand held stick blender
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 6 medium beetroot chopped into small dice (800g unpeeled weight)
- 2 medium potatoes chopped (350g weight)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- handful fresh dill chopped
- 6 tablespoons oat cream or other vegan cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the onion and celery and stir until coated in the oil.
- Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Sweat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add three cloves crushed garlic, stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped beetroot and potato, stir well, then pour over the litre of vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer and cook until the beetroot are soft.
- Allow to cool then transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan and reheat. Add extra water or vegetable stock if you prefer a thinner soup. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle over a tablespoon of vegan cream per serving and add chopped dill.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
FREE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL VEGAN INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox plus get my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients.
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I’ll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Cook Veggielicious. Read my full disclosure.