A delicious and warming roast celeriac salad made with sweet fresh blueberries and earthy chestnuts. A great vegan recipe that makes use of a common veg box vegetable.
For years I had no idea what to do with celeriac - beyond mashing it either on its own or with potato. These days I have come to love this gnarly old root vegetable - although I still hate how difficult it is to peel.
I love it roasted as a side or as part of a roast dinner and it's also lovely in this Jerusalem artichoke and celeriac soup with coconut and chilli.
However, this unusual salad is my favourite way to eat it at the moment. Celeriac works surprisingly well in a salad and combined with blueberries and chestnuts it's hearty, delicious and filling.
What does celeriac taste like?
It has a distinctly fresh and light flavour that isn't quite like anything else. It's a bit like a subtler version of celery.
A little bit nutty and the texture is completely different to crunchy celery. Perhaps this is why I like celeriac despite never being a fan of celery.
More celeriac recipes
If you like this you might like:
- Celeriac and chestnut buckwheat salad
- Parsnip and celeriac soda bread
- Lentil shepherd's pie with celeriac mash
- Butterbean and celeriac mash
- Jerusalem artichoke and celeriac soup
Some of these recipes appear on my other blog, Sneaky Veg.
Pin warm celeriac salad with chestnuts and blueberries for later
How to make warm celeriac salad with chestnuts and blueberries
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Warm celeriac salad with chestnuts and blueberries
- 900 g celeriac
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves picked
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 100 g cooked chestnuts crumbled
- 100 g fresh blueberries
- Salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Peel the celeriac and cut into large chunks.
- Place in a roasting tin with the olive oil, thyme, onion, garlic and maple syrup.
- Roast for 40 minutes, stirring halfway or until cooked through.
- Mix in a large salad bowl with the chestnuts and blueberries, season with salt to taste, and serve immediately.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.