This watercress soup is so easy to make. The peppery watercress has such an intense flavour that you don’t need a lot of ingredients to make it into soup. Once cooked it turns out a vibrant green colour that you just know is full of goodness. Delicious served with crusty bread and suitable for vegans.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
Watercress often turns up in my vegetable bag and apart from serving it with a salad I didn’t really know what to do with it. Until I tried watercress soup. It is SO good. Honestly. I actually couldn’t believe how delicious this soup is - not to mention how easy it is to make.
Watercress soup makes a delicious lunch with some bread or a striking starter for a main meal.
I hope you love this as much as I do!
What is watercress?
Watercress is a strong-tasting salad leaf. It is related to mustard and has a strong, slightly bitter taste.
It’s full of nutrients, including iron, calcium and vitamins A, C and E so it's definitely worth adding some to your diet.
How to store watercress
Watercress doesn’t last particularly long so it’s best stored in the fridge (in a bag with air holes) and eaten within a few days of being bought or harvested.
How difficult is watercress soup to make?
This is one of the easiest recipes I’ve made. It’s really just a case of frying an onion, adding stock and watercress, cooking for a few minutes, blending and then seasoning to taste.
What should you serve with this soup?
This soup is delicious served with your favourite bread to mop it up. Personally I like to serve mine with slice of toasted sourdough. Fresh crusty rolls are also delicious.
What ingredients do you need to make watercress soup
You’ll need the following ingredients:
For frying your onion.
For the base of your soup.
Vegetable stock or hot water
Because watercress has a strong flavour this soup works well when made with hot water. However, a mild vegetable stock also works well.
The star ingredient - this peppery salad leaf makes an incredible soup.
Salt and pepper
Season to taste.
Flat leaf parsley
To add a little extra flavour.
Cream, to drizzle
I used oat cream.
Do you need any special equipment to make this soup?
To make the soup you’ll need:
Can this be made in advance?
You can make this soup up to two days in advance and store it in the fridge. When you're ready to eat it simply reheat and serve.
Can you freeze this recipe?
Yes. Allow to cool completely then transfer to a freezer dish or bag. Don’t forget to label your container with the recipe name and date.
Pin watercress soup for later
How to make watercress soup
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 500 ml vegetable stock or hot water
- 100 g watercress roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cream to drizzle
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan.
- Add your chopped onion, stir, then cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft.
- Pour over 500ml vegetable stock or hot water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add 100g watercress. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add 1 tbsp chopped parsley.
- Allow to cool then blend with a hand held blender or jug blender. If using a jug blender allow to cool for longer and be very careful of the hot steam.
- Return to the pan and reheat. Season to taste with salt and pepper then ladle into a bowl and drizzle with cream to serve.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
FREE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL VEGAN INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox plus get my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients.