Thai basil fried rice
Adding Thai basil to your fried rice gives it a unique flavour that is way more delicious than your average rice dish. Gluten free and suitable for vegans, you’ll want to make my Thai basil fried rice again and again.
For the baked tempeh (optional)
- 200 g tempeh
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce use tamari if gluten free
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or sesame oil
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce use tamari if gluten free
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For the fried rice
- 800-900 g leftover cooked rice 300g uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 cm piece ginger finely chopped
- 1 red chilli deseeded and chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 50 g white or green cabbage or other greens thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 30 g Thai basil leaves picked and finely chopped
For the tempeh (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
Chop the tempeh into 2cm cubes. Place in a small roasting tin.
Mix 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp sunflower or sesame oil together and drizzle over the tempeh. If you have time, marinate in the fridge for up to one hour.
Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, turning half way.
To make the Thai basil fried rice
If your rice is uncooked cook before continuing and set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil in a wok or frying pan. Add a finely chopped onion and sauté for around 10 minutes until soft. Add 2 cloves chopped garlic, a 2 cm piece of chopped ginger and a chopped red chilli. Stir well and sauté for an extra minute.
Add the carrots and fry for a few minutes until just starting to soften before adding the cabbage and red pepper.
Once softened add your cooked rice, the sauce and the Thai basil and stir fry until well combined. Serve immediately with the baked tempeh on the side.
- If you can't find Thai basil I recommend substituting coriander instead of regular Italian basil.
- Baked tofu is a good alternative to the tempeh.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Calories: 546kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 788mg | Potassium: 600mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 6542IU | Vitamin C: 64mg | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 3mg