Chestnut and sage vegan stuffing balls
These chestnut and sage vegan stuffing balls are delicious with your Christmas dinner or with a roast at any time of year.
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds or flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 400 g tin of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 180 g bag cooked chestnuts crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 50 g dried cranberries optional
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion until soft, stirring often. This will take 10-15 minutes.
Pulse the chickpeas in a food processor until broken down. Add the cooked onion, the breadcrumbs, the chestnuts and the herbs and pulse briefly to combine. Season with a little salt and black pepper.
If using stir through the cranberries* and use your hands to roll into balls. You may want to lightly oil your hands first to stop the mixture sticking.
Place on your prepared baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Press the cranberries into the balls so they don’t burn while cooking.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide.
Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 26mg | Potassium: 153mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 7IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg