This vegan chickpea kale pasta salad made with orzo is delicious as part of a summer spread of salads, alongside a barbecue or in a mezze-style lunch.
Kale is one of those love it or hate it vegetables isn't it?
I do love it but I sometimes find it a bit of a faff to prepare and in the past have definitely not known what to do with it. It's just so unbelievably good for you though that it really is worth making the effort.
And once you know what to do with kale it's a lot less hassle than you thought.
Over on my other blog, Sneaky Veg, I have this post about what to do with kale
Kale recipes that you might like
Here are some of my favourite kale recipes:
- Chickpea kale salad with blood orange and pistachio
- Kale pesto
- Sweet potato and kale salad with tahini dressing
- Butternut squash and kale risotto
- Kale crisps
- Spicy sautéed kale with miso and mushrooms
Kale works brilliantly in salad
My current favourite way to enjoy kale is as part of this chickpea kale pasta salad.
It's the perfect side salad to bring along to a picnic or BBQ and can be prepared in advance. The extra time spent marinating in the lemony dressing will only help the kale along.
Plenty of parsley is needed, as is salt and pepper to taste. And it's really good drizzled with chilli oil if you like a little heat.
Pin chickpea kale pasta salad with orzo for later
How to make chickpea and kale pasta salad
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Chickpea and kale pasta salad
- 200 g kale
- 150 g orzo cooked according to packet instructions
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 400 g tin chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ cucumber diced
- handful flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- chilli oil optional
- First prepare the kale. Wash it well, cut out the centre stems and shred into thin pieces. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Cook the orzo according to the packet instructions. When cooked drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking make the dressing. Whisk together the lemon juice with olive oil and cider vinegar.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and using your hands rub it in to the leaves for several minutes. The citrus juices will help to soften the kale so it's really worth doing this stage, which is sometimes called massaging the kale leaves.
- Add the chickpeas, the diced cucumber, the cooked orzo and the flat leaf parsley. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper and serve with chilli oil if liked.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you loved this recipe why not let me know by leaving a rating and comment below? Alternatively you can let me know on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.
Love orzo in a salad! Pinned! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare!