These vegan pumpkin waffles are the perfect autumn breakfast or dessert. They're easy to make, crisp on the outside and packed full of spice.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
Waffles are my perfect breakfast. As much as I love pancakes I don't like standing by the stove while the whole family devours their pancakes, only to run off having finished when I finally get to sit down! Waffles on the other hand can be cooked four at a time (depending on your waffle iron of course), which suits us much better.
How are waffles made?
A traditional waffle batter is much like a thick pancake batter - made with eggs, flour and milk.
Vegan waffles are made without eggs and with dairy free milk instead of cows' milk.
Over the last few months I have tried many vegan waffle recipes - with varied results. Some were just plain soggy (apple cinnamon waffles I'm looking at you), others left an unpleasant taste of raising agent in the mouth and others still were delicious.
But these I think are my favourite waffles that I've made so far.
They're made using half a tin of pumpkin purée - an ingredient that's more common in the US and Canada than it is here in the UK. However, it's easy enough to buy from Ocado, Wholefoods Market or even Amazon* if you can't find it near you.
Cook them for longer to get a crispy outside
The real key to getting these vegan pumpkin waffles right is to make sure you cook them for long enough that the outside goes really crispy.
If you need to reheat them stick them in the toaster for a few seconds.
What to serve with pumpkin waffles
These are delicious on their own but I particularly like them with raspberries, coconut yoghurt and maple syrup.
They are also AMAZING with my vegan salted caramel sauce.
More recipes you might like
If you like this you might like:
- sweet potato chocolate brownies (on my kid food blog Sneaky Veg)
- vegan peanut butter banana pancakes
- easy vegan pancakes
Pin vegan pumpkin waffles for later
How to make vegan pumpkin waffles
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Vegan pumpkin waffles
- 100 g oats
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp ground flax or chia seeds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 420 ml oat milk or other plant based milk
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 200 g pumpkin purée (half a can)
- 60 ml sunflower oil
- Place the oats in a blender and pulse until ground down into a flour-like consistency.
- Add all the other ingredients and pulse until well combined. If you don't have a blender use plain flour instead of oats and whisk well.
- Pre-heat the waffle iron and brush the sides with a little oil.
- Add a large spoonful of batter to the waffle iron and cook for 2-3 minutes until cooked through and crispy on the outside.
- Keep warm in a low oven or serve immediately with coconut yoghurt, fruit and maple syrup.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link. This means that if you buy anything after clicking on this link I'll receive a small commission. The price to you remains the same.