Got a swede and don’t know what to do with it? Try this delicious recipe for maple roasted swede with cumin. Suitable for vegans.
What is swede?
A swede is a large round root vegetable. The flesh is a yellowish colour and the outside can be a browny colour or sometimes purple. It's also known as rutabaga or neeps.
What is the best way to cook swede?
Swede is actually very easy to cook. Roasted swede is absolutely delicious - try the recipe below for maple roast swede with cumin if you'd like to give it a go. To prepare your swede you simply need to peel and chop it, drizzle it with oil and spices (if desired), then roast it in your oven until soft. Smaller pieces will go deliciously crispy on the outside. It can be a bit tough to chop so you'll need a large sharp knife.
- Swede also makes lovely wedges or chips. Try my Cajun-spiced swede chips.
- Alternatively you can mash your swede. If you want to mash swede you prepare it in the same way but then you'll need to boil or steam it until soft, before mashing it.
- I love this mashed swede with nutmeg recipe.
- And for something unusual try this swede carbonara.
Finally, you can even make cake with swede. I love this ginger and swede cake (vegetarian) over on my other blog Sneaky Veg.
How to make maple roasted swede with cumin
It really is as simple as peeling and chopping the swede, mixing with the oil, maple syrup and cumin and roasting in the oven. Apart from giving it the odd stir you can then leave it to cook while you get on with the rest of dinner.
I think that roast swede is a great addition to a roast dinner or with some vegan sausages. However, it's also lovely alongside curry. The sweetness of the maple syrup, mixed with the cumin and the naturally sweet, earthy flavour make it go really well with Indian dishes such as dhal.
Maple roasted swede with cumin
- 1 medium swede
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Peel your swede, wash and cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Place in a roasting tin and drizzle with the maple syrup, olive oil and ground cumin. Stir to mix.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes until soft stirring two or three times to avoid sticking. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with veggie sausages, mash and greens or alongside a veggie roast dinner. It’s also great as a side dish with curries.
Pin maple roasted swede with cumin for later