If you've ever wondered how to cook swede - also known as rutabaga - you're not alone. Usually it's mashed but not any more - these cajun-spiced swede chips are going to become your new favourite way to eat swede.
What is swede?
Swede - know as rutabaga in the United States - is an unfashionable, unsexy root vegetable that you'll be familiar with if you get a weekly vegetable box or bag.
Personally I love swede. I usually find it relatively straightforward to peel and chop (unlike the celeriac, which is my kitchen nemesis), it has a gorgeous yellow colour and it has a deliciously earthy, yet sweet flavour.
How to cook swede
What recipe would you suggest to someone who is wondering how to cook swede?
Get more tips on how to cook swede.
What is Cajun seasoning?
Cajun seasoning is a spice mix, made from paprika, garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano and thyme.
You can buy it in most large supermarkets. However, if you'd like to make your own, this recipe by The Hairy Bikers looks good.
More vegetarian swede recipes
- Mashed swede with nutmeg
- Swede carbonara
- Maple roasted swede
- Indian-spiced root vegetable curry
- Roasted carrot and swede mash by Charlotte's Lively Kitchen
- Root vegetable stroganoff by Family Friends Food
- Vegetarian sausage traybake with swede, potatoes and cauliflower by Sneaky Veg
- Chunky vegetable soup by The Intolerant Gourmand
- Swede nutmeg cake by Veggie Desserts
- How to microwave a whole swede by Foodie Quine
Pin Cajun-spiced swede chips for later
How to make cajun-spice swede chips
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Cajun spiced swede chips
- 1 large swede weighing around 800g
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Peel the swede, rinse it under the tap if it's still a bit muddy and cut into wedge shapes.
- Place in a baking tray and sprinkle over 1 tsp Cajun seasoning and 2 tbsp sunflower oil before mixing together.
- Roast for 20 minutes, turn over, and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Season with salt to taste and sprinkle with 1 tbsp chopped parsley.
- Serve as a side dish or with a dip.
If you like this you might like these butternut squash chips.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.