Perfect to cook in summer when lovage is in season, this pasta with courgettes and lovage is a delicious seasonal dinner. If you're looking for a lovage recipe then try this vegan and vegetarian pasta dish.
Lovage - a green and leafy herb - isn't one of the most common herbs that we cook with.
However, it's appeared more than once in my organic vegetable bag and is a great addition to pasta dishes, salads and other dishes where you'd use fresh herbs.
In this recipe, mixed with pasta and sautéed courgettes, it adds a delicious flavour to an otherwise simple pasta dish.
It is light but filling, a dish that's perfect for a warm spring day with a bit of a breeze and a hint of summer in the air.
What does lovage taste like?
Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall describes lovage as follows:
"The flavour is like parsley and celery combined with a hint of aniseed and curry" he said in The Guardian back in 2011.
How to use lovage
Lovage can be used in much the same way as many other herbs. Here are some lovage recipes you might like:
- Chop it into a salad
- Turn it into pesto
- Make soup with it
- Add it to mash, as I've done in this lentil shepherd's pie.
How to make pasta with courgettes and lovage
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Pasta with courgettes and lovage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 courgettes sliced into half moons
- zest of one lemon
- 20 g lovage finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Small handful sunflower seeds
- 200 g pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add a sliced onion and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often, until soft.
- Add 2 cloves of crushed garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add 2 sliced courgettes and sauté for 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil, adding salt if desired. Add the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions. Drain when cooked.
- When the courgettes are cooked add the lemon zest and 20g chopped lovage, stir and warm through.
- Lightly toast a handful of sunflower seeds in a small frying pan.
- Mix the cooked pasta with the courgette mixture and top with the sunflower seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with a salad.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
- Substitute other herbs for lovage if needed eg flat leaf parsley, basil.
Love courgettes? Why not try this courgette stir fry?
Pin pasta with courgettes and lovage
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
FREE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL VEGAN INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox plus get my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure for more information.
The beautiful Moroccan style bowl used in this photo was kindly gifted to me by Moroccan Bazaar.