A delicious and fresh pasta dish with courgettes and lovage that is perfect for spring and summer. If you're looking for a lovage recipe then try this. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
I must be honest and say that until very recently I'd never tried lovage. Then a bag of the leafy herb appeared in my vegetable bag and languished in the fridge for almost a week until I thought that I must do something with it.
What does lovage taste like?
I was at a bit of a loss for how to describe it but Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall has helped me out by doing it so well that I don't need to. "The flavour is like parsley and celery combined with a hint of aniseed and curry" he said in The Guardian back in 2011.
According to Hugh it has many uses but I decided that my first foray into cooking with lovage would be a simple pasta dish. I wanted something light but filling, a dish that's perfect for a warm spring day with a bit of a breeze and a hint of summer in the air.
I won't mention the eight builders who are stomping around on my roof at the moment destroying my peaceful imaginings!
Have you cooked with lovage before? What's your favourite lovage recipe? Let me know in the comments.
How to use lovage
You can also add lovage to mash, as I've done in this lentil shepherd's pie.
Pin pasta with courgettes and lovage
How to make pasta with courgettes and lovage
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Pasta with courgettes and lovage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 courgettes sliced into half moons
- zest of one lemon
- 20 g lovage finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- handful sunflower seeds
- 200 g pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often, until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the sliced courgettes and sauté for 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil, adding salt if desired. Add the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions. Drain when cooked.
- When the courgettes are cooked add the lemon zest and lovage, stir and warm through.
- Lightly toast the sunflower seeds in a small frying pan. Mix the pasta with the courgette mixture and top with the sunflower seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with a salad.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.
The beautiful Moroccan style bowl used in this photo was kindly gifted to me by Moroccan Bazaar.