Mashed sweet potato and Mexican-spiced black beans are a match made in heaven when sandwiched between tortilla wraps. These vegan sweet potato black bean quesadilla make a wonderful lunch or light dinner.
The beauty of working from home most days is that I can cook lunch for myself, which is wonderful as I'm not a huge fan of sandwiches. Quesadilla is one of my go-to lunches. In the past I would have filled this with grated cheese as well but now that I'm vegan I tend to just stick with the beans and sweet potatoes. However, if you're craving that melty cheesiness in your quesadilla go right ahead and add some vegan cheese.
What to serve with sweet potato quesadilla
Black beans are the obvious filling for a quesadilla and they're really great when paired with sweet potatoes. If you really love black beans you might like this refried beans recipe.
Green rice is also a great side.
What vegetarian quesadilla fillings have you tried? Let me know in the comments - I'd love to try them out.
Pin sweet potato black bean quesadilla for later
How to make sweet potato black bean quesadilla
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Sweet potato black bean quesadilla
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into bite size pieces.
- ½ tsp chipotle chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 400 g tin of black beans
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley or coriander finely chopped
- 50 g vegan cheese grated (optional)
- 4 tortilla wraps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Roast the sweet potatoes with ½ tbsp olive oil and the chipotle flakes for 40 minutes, stirring half way, or until cooked through. When cooked roughly mash with a fork.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a medium frying pan.
- Add the onion and cook for around 10 minutes over a low-medium heat, stirring often, until soft.
- Add the garlic, cook for a further minute, then add the smoked paprika and ground cumin. Stir well then add the beans.
- As you continue to cook them mash the beans until they're about half mashed, half whole.
- Add the cider vinegar and the chopped herbs, season with salt and pepper to taste, stir well and set aside.
- Heat a separate frying pan over a low heat. Place one wrap on the pan, then spread mashed sweet potato, beans and, if using, grated vegan cheese, on top. Cover with a second wrap. Keep an eye on the wraps and as soon as the bottom one is beginning to brown flip the whole lot over to cook the other side. You may find it easiest to use a plate to do this.
- Repeat with the remaining wraps and filling.
- Serve with mashed avocado and tomato salsa for a perfect vegan lunch.
If you love sweet potatoes you might also like my sweet potato and beetroot curry recipe.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.