An easy and delicious recipe for tomato and cucumber salad with fresh herbs, lemon juice and olive oil. Sometimes known as Mediterranean salad or Israeli salad, this recipe is suitable for both vegetarians and vegans and is a delicious accompaniment to any meal.
This kind of salad always reminds me of being a kid.
My dad used to grow a lot of veggies in our garden and we'd always have homegrown cucumbers and tomatoes to enjoy in the summer.
This kind of simple salad - chopped tomatoes and cucumber - always takes me back to those days.
I've served this tomato and cucumber salad with fresh herbs, lemon juice, olive oil and salt to keep things simple. (My childhood version of this salad always came with Heinz salad cream though - does anything sum up English food in the 1980s quite so much?)
If you like you can add a chopped red onion to your salad as well.
Despite it reminding me of long-ago English summers this type of salad appears across middle Eastern cuisine and no doubt goes by many different names.
I've heard it called both Israeli salad and Mediterranean salad.
Whatever you call it this tomato and cucumber salad is fresh, light and delicious. It is the perfect side dish to so many dishes.
Use homegrown produce
This salad is a great one to make if you grow your own tomatoes and cucumbers and have a glut of them in the summer.
For full recipe including ingredients list, quantities and method please see the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
To make this salad you will need:
- tomatoes - use the ripest, freshest tomatoes you can find (and don't put them in the fridge)
- cucumber - if possible use a small Persian cucumber for this dish - any middle Eastern supermarket or grocers will stock them. If you can't find them you can use a standard English cucumber instead.
- red onion - optional
- olive oil - use the best quality one you have
- lemon juice - ideally freshly squeezed
- flat leaf parsley - freshly chopped
- salt - to taste
More salad recipes you might like
If you like this you might like:
How to make tomato and cucumber salad
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Tomato and cucumber salad
- 1 small Persian cucumber or ½ English cucumber diced
- 4 small ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 small red onion diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Small handful flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Mix the diced cucumber, tomatoes and onion (if using) into a serving bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, add the chopped parsley and mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Serve immediately at room temperature.
Pin tomato and cucumber salad for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.