An easy and delicious recipe for Israeli salad made with tomato, cucumber, herbs, lemon juice and olive oil. Onion can also be added. Suitable for vegans and a delicious accompaniment to any meal.
What is Israeli salad?
This type of salad appears across middle Eastern cuisine and no doubt goes by many different names. I've always known it as Israeli salad however and it's a fresh, light and delicious salad that's perfect alongside many dishes. Try it as part of a veggie mezze spread, with some roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas, with flatbreads, in a falafel wrap or alongside shakshuka.
The key is to use the ripest, freshest tomatoes you can find. This isn't always easy at this time of year in the UK so look for the best ones you can find - and don't put them in the fridge! This salad is a great one to make if you grow your own tomatoes and cucumbers and have a glut of them in the summer.
If possible use a small Persian cucumber for this dish - any middle Eastern supermarket or grocers will stock them. If you can't find them you can use a standard English cucumber instead.
I hope you enjoy this simple Israeli salad recipe. Do let me know in the comments if you try it.
More salad recipes you might like
If you like this you might like:
- Healthy three bean salad
- Clementine, walnut and radicchio salad
- Brussels sprouts salad
- Kale and sweet potato salad
- Cabbage salad
- Celeriac and chestnut buckwheat salad
- Freekeh salad with cauliflower, leeks and butterbeans
- Rainbow salad
- Fennel and orange salad
Pin simple Israeli salad for later
How to make simple Israeli salad
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Simple Israeli salad
- 1 small Persian cucumber or 1/2 English cucumber diced
- 4 small ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 small red onion diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Small handful fresh flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Mix the diced cucumber, tomatoes and onion (if using) into a serving bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, add the chopped parsley and mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Serve immediately at room temperature.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.