A spiced vegan apple cake that’s packed full of sweet tasty apples and is flavoured with fragrant cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Finished off with a salted caramel drizzle this is vegan cake heaven.
Can this vegan apple cake be made gluten free?
I first made this cake for my brother in law’s birthday. As he is gluten free my first version of this vegan apple cake was a gluten free one – and it came out beautifully. If you’d like to make it gluten free replace the flour with gluten free self raising flour, reduce the baking powder to 1 tsp and add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is a thickening agent that helps to keep the ingredients together. It’s often used in gluten free baking. If you’re looking for a good gluten free flour I recommend The Free From Fairy.
How to make spiced vegan apple cake
This spiced vegan apple cake is very easy to make. I’ve made it using a bundt tin because I think this makes it look really special. I have a silicone bundt tin* which is very easy to use and remove the cake from. I have also tested this cake in a standard loaf tin if you don’t have a bundt tin.
This cake is delicious on its own but it’s even more special when drizzled with vegan salted caramel sauce. It’s best to make the sauce in advance and allow it to cool and thicken in the fridge – but if you don’t have time it’ll be fine – just a bit runnier.
Spiced vegan apple cake
- 115 g dairy free spread/sunflower oil
- 115 g soft brown sugar
- 3 medium apples (approx 400g) peeled, cored and chopped
- 225 g plain flour I used half wholemeal and half plain
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C( fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Lightly grease a bundt tin or alternative cake tin eg a 900g loaf tin. If using a loaf tin line with baking paper.
- Put the prepared apples in a small saucepan with a dash of water. Cook until soft then purée with a handheld blender or mash well with a fork. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the sunflower oil and sugar together.
- Fold into the flour, then stir through the apple purée.
- Transfer to your cake tin.
- Bake for 25-30 mins in a bundt tin or until the cake is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
If you want to make this cake gluten free substitute the flour for 225g gluten free self raising flour and only use 1 tsp baking powder. You will also need to add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum to the flour.
If you like this you might like:
Pin spiced vegan apple cake for later
*This is an affiliate link. If you buy something after clicking on this link I’ll receive a small commission. The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Cook Veggielicious!