A spiced vegan apple cake that's packed full of sweet tasty apples and is flavoured with fragrant cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Finished off with a salted caramel drizzle this is vegan cake heaven.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
This spiced vegan apple cake is very easy to make.
The combination of apples and spices makes this a perfectly seasonal cake to bake in autumn or winter. However, it is delicious at any time of year.
This cake is amazing on its own but it's even more special when drizzled with vegan salted caramel sauce.
It's best to make the sauce in advance and allow it to cool and thicken in the fridge - but if you don't have time it'll be fine - just a bit runnier.
What ingredients do you need?
You'll need the following ingredients to make this vegan apple cake:
- Sunflower oil or melted dairy free spread
- Soft brown sugar
- Plain flour
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Mixed spice
- Sultanas, optional
I made my apple cake for the photos using a bundt tin because I think this makes it look really special. I have a silicone bundt tin,* which is very easy to use and remove the cake from.
I have also tested this cake in a standard loaf tin if you don't have a bundt tin.
How to store this cake
Allow to cool completely on a wire rack and then transfer to an airtight cake tin. Keeps for around three days.
You can also freeze this cake. Allow to cool completely and then transfer to a freezer box or bag. Label with the recipe name and date.
If you want to freeze the cake in slices, slice and then freeze on a tray for an hour before transferring to your freezer container. This will stop the slices from sticking together.
Can this vegan apple cake be made gluten free?
I first made this cake for my brother in law's birthday. As he is gluten free my first version of this vegan apple cake was a gluten free one - and it came out beautifully.
If you'd like to make it gluten free replace the flour with gluten free self raising flour, reduce the baking powder to 1 tsp and add ½ tsp xanthan gum.
Xanthan gum is a thickening agent that helps to keep the ingredients together. It's often used in gluten free baking. If you're looking for a good gluten free flour I recommend The Free From Fairy.
More vegan cakes you might like
If you like this you might like:
- Iced vegan Christmas cake
- Vegan Oreo cake
- Spiced vegan banana bread
- Vegan apple tarte tatin
- Sticky ginger cake
- Vegan apple muffins
Pin spiced vegan apple cake for later
How to make spiced vegan apple cake
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Spiced vegan apple cake
- 115 g sunflower oil or melted dairy free spread
- 115 g soft brown sugar
- 3 medium apples (approx 400g) peeled, cored and chopped
- 225 g plain flour I used half wholemeal and half plain
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 100 g sultanas optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C( fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Lightly grease a bundt tin or alternative cake tin eg a 900g loaf tin or 20cm round cake tin. If using a loaf tin or round tin line with baking paper.
- Put the prepared apples in a small saucepan with a dash of water. Cook until soft then purée with a handheld blender or mash well with a fork. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices together in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix the sunflower oil (or melted dairy free spread) and sugar together.
- Fold into the flour, then stir through the apple purée. Finally stir in the sultanas if using.
- Transfer to your cake tin.
- Bake for 25-30 mins in a bundt tin or up to 40 minutes in a larger tin until the cake is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.
*This is an affiliate link. If you buy something after clicking on this link I'll receive a small commission. The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Cook Veggielicious!