Delicious fresh fennel is combined with zingy citrus flavours in this refreshingly fruity side salad. Add crunchy pecans and a tasty mustard dressing to this fennel and orange salad for maximum taste.
I love fennel. With its subtle liquorice flavour there’s something so refreshing about it.
It can be tricky to know what to make with it though. I often roast it - like in this linguine with cauliflower and fennel recipe.
But I think it’s even nicer in a salad. And combined with the bright orange segments it looks really pretty on the table too.
How difficult is fennel and orange salad to make?
Not difficult at all!
It’s a really easy salad to make yet looks really pretty and impressive on the dinner table.
What should you serve with this salad?
Fennel and orange salad is really refreshing and is particularly delicious eaten outside with a BBQ - perhaps with some veggie sausages and potatoes cooked in the coals.
It also goes well with a selection of other salads (see below for more ideas).
I also like it with flatbreads and dips such as:
What ingredients do you need to make this salad?
To make this salad you’ll need:
- a fennel
- two oranges
- a handful of pecan nuts, and
- a small handful flat leaf parsley
To make the dressing you will need:
- wholegrain mustard
- orange juice
- olive oil
- sea salt
Do you need any special equipment to make it?
No - just a sharp knife and a chopping board will do. However, if you do have a mandoline this will help you to slice the fennel very finely.
More vegan salad recipes you might like
- clementine, walnut and radicchio salad
- Brussels sprouts salad
- kale and sweet potato salad
- cabbage salad
- celeriac and chestnut buckwheat salad
- freekeh salad with cauliflower, leeks and butterbeans
- three bean salad
- rainbow salad
- kohlrabi slaw
Pin fennel and orange salad for later
How to make orange and fennel salad
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Orange and fennel salad
For the salad
- 1 fennel
- 2 oranges
- Handful pecan nuts chopped or broken into pieces
- Small handful freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Sea salt
To make the salad
- Slice the fennel as thinly as you can. Use a mandoline if you have one.
- Peel your 2 oranges with a sharp knife and cut out the segments. Do this over a bowl to reserve any excess juice for your dressing.
- Place the sliced fennel and orange segments into a bowl.
- Add the pecan nuts and a handful of chopped parsley and gently mix together.
To make the dressing
- Mix 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard with 3 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp orange juice and a pinch of salt.
- Beat well and drizzle over the salad.
- Serve immediately.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
FREE GUIDE TO ESSENTIAL VEGAN INGREDIENTS
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox plus get my FREE guide to essential vegan ingredients.