Add a splash of colour to your meal with this delicious Brussels sprouts salad. A wonderful vegan winter salad, this is a great addition to a Christmas meal too.
Have you got a bag of Brussels sprouts and can't decide what to make with them? Perhaps you got some in your vegetable bag or box scheme - or maybe you've grown your own?
It's even possible that you bought too many sprouts for Christmas.
However you came by your Brussels sprouts this delicious winter salad is a wonderful way to use them.
Sprouts don't need to be cooked to be enjoyed. In fact they are absolutely delicious eaten fresh. Shredded then mixed with crunchy red cabbage, pistachio and cranberry and drizzled with a mustardy dressing they are crunchy and flavoursome.
This Brussels sprouts salad would be perfect for a healthier Christmas dinner. It can also be enjoyed throughout winter, when sprouts are in season.
How difficult is this Brussels sprouts salad to make?
This salad is really easy to make. There is no cooking involved - just vegetable preparation.
Brussels sprouts can be a bit fiddly to prepare. However, once they are shredded, along with the cabbage, it's just a case of mixing the rest of the ingredients together.
How do you prepare Brussels sprouts?
For this recipe you need to trim the base and any tough outer leaves from your Brussels sprouts.
Then finely shred them. Use your best sharp knife for this to ensure that they are cut as finely as possible.
What should you serve with this salad?
This salad goes well with Christmas leftovers.
It also goes well as part of a combination of vegan salads or in a Buddha bowl-style lunch box.
Here are some ideas for what to serve with this salad:
- kale and sweet potato salad
- whole roasted cauliflower
- quinoa tabbouleh
- cauliflower hummus
- Israeli salad
- vegan spanakopita
- baked cauliflower falafel
- roast beetroot dip
- radicchio, clementine and walnut salad
- rainbow salad
- fennel and orange salad
If you pick three or four of these items and put them together in a lunch box you'll have a delicious and nutritious vegan lunch.
What ingredients do you need to make Brussels sprouts salad?
To make this Brussels sprouts salad you will need:
- 400g Brussels sprouts
- ½ red cabbage
- 50g pistachios
- 75g dried cranberries
- Small handful flat leaf parsley
For the dressing you'll need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Juice of one lemon
More Brussels sprouts recipes
- Roasted balsamic Brussels sprouts
- Curried Brussels sprouts soup
- Brussels sprouts curry
- Garlic roasted sprouts
- Roast Jerusalem artichokes and Brussels sprouts
- Brussels sprouts and butternut traybake
Or you might also like this rocket and melon salad, which makes an excellent Christmas dinner starter.
How to make Brussels sprouts salad
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Brussels sprouts salad with red cabbage, pistachio and cranberry
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Juice of one lemon
For the salad
- 400 g Brussels sprouts trimmed and shredded
- ½ red cabbage shredded
- 50 g pistachios
- 75 g dried cranberries
- Small handful flat leaf parsley finely chopped
To make the dressing
- Mix together 2 tbsp olive oil with 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard and the juice of one lemon.
To make the salad
- Place 400g shredded Brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl with half a red cabbage, shredded, 50g pistachios, 75g dried cranberries and a small handful of finely chopped flat leaf parsley.
- Pour over the dressing and mix well with two spoons or your hands.
- Serve immediately.
Pin Brussels sprouts salad for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.