A beautiful radicchio salad that will brighten up any winter table. Clementines and walnuts complement the bitter radicchio leaves perfectly in this delicious, seasonal salad. Suitable for vegans.
This radicchio salad is astonishingly colourful. The bright pink of the radicchio leaves combined with orange clementines and bright green parsley is just stunning.
A radicchio salad like this one will add a much-needed splash of colour to a winter meal.
I adore this salad because it:
- is suitable for vegans
- looks beautiful on the table
- is a great use of seasonal produce
- can be adapted easily eg switch walnuts for another nut or seeds
What is radicchio?
Radicchio is a bitter tasting leaf vegetable. It’s a member of the chicory family and is sometimes known as Italian chicory.
Its leaves are a beautiful pink or red colour, with white veins running through them.
Find out more about how radicchio is grown or discover how to cook radicchio.
When is radicchio in season?
The main radicchio season is mid-winter to spring - roughly November to February. However, it can often be found outside of these months.
How to make radicchio taste less bitter
The bitter taste of radicchio reduces if you roast or grill it. Try my balsamic roasted radicchio.
It also responds well to being combined with other flavours. Sweet balsamic vinegar works well with radicchio. Salty flavours are also good.
To make this salad you will need:
- walnuts (sub other nuts or seeds eg pumpkin seeds)
- clementines (other small oranges can be used eg mandarins)
- flat leaf parsley
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar (cider vinegar or lemon juice can also be used)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
What to serve with this clementine, walnut and radicchio salad
Here are some ideas for how to serve this salad:
- Served on its own, perhaps with some bread to mop up the juices
- Add a tin of chickpeas to make it more substantial
- Alongside some roasted potatoes and vegan sausages
- As part of a vegan Christmas meal
- With other salads or dips.
More vegan salad recipes
If you like this you might also like one of these vegan salads:
- Brussels sprouts salad with red cabbage
- Kale and sweet potato salad
- Shredded cabbage salad
- Celeriac and chestnut buckwheat salad
- Freekeh salad with cauliflower, leeks and butterbeans
- Warm celeriac salad
- Chickpea kale salad with blood oranges
- Rainbow salad
- Fennel and orange salad
- Kohlrabi slaw
- Rocket and melon
How to make clementine, walnut and radicchio salad
If you have made this recipe and loved it please consider leaving a comment and rating below.
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Clementine, walnut and radicchio salad
- 1 radicchio finely sliced
- 100 g walnuts toasted
- 4 clementines peeled and broken into segments
- 25 g flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons white wine vinegar*
- Salt and pepper
- First toast 100g walnuts in a dry frying pan for a minute or two, stirring occasionally to turn.
- Place your finely sliced radicchio into a large mixing bowl. Add the segments of 4 clementines, the walnuts and 25g roughly chopped parsley. Toss together.
- Drizzle over 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar. Mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lemon juice or cider vinegar could also be used.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Pin clementine, walnut and radicchio salad for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you loved this recipe why not let me know by leaving a rating and comment below? Alternatively you can let me know on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.
Leave a Reply